FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Food Allergy Anxiety in 10yo  (Read 4571 times)

Description:

Offline MaryM

Food Allergy Anxiety in 10yo
« on: December 29, 2016, 08:08:21 AM »
On Christmas night DD came to me and told me she felt like she had something in her throat and was having trouble swallowing.  She had not eaten anything suspect.  I thought maybe one of the cookies I made was cross contaminated but a guest somehow....She asked me if we should see a doctor.  Then she said he stomach hurt.  She had no signs of a reaction, just felt these things.  We went to the ER.  She freaked out when I said maybe we need to Epi.  ER took her right away. They treated her with Benadryl and Zantac.  She slept.  Her throat looked fine, her breathing/oxygen was fine. When she woke up she said the lump let better but just before we let she said it was back.  Last night she started with the same thing and crying bc she didn't want allergies and wanted to be better.  I let her sleep with me bc I knew she was fine.  This is anxiety and I feel so bad bc I get anxious when she starts to tell me every little itch she has.  I wonder if the feeling in her throat is related to her constant sniffling/Post-Nasal Drip.  Anyway - we are going to the pediatrician today.  Hopefully we can get into see her ENT soon and hopefully we can find someone for her to talk to about the anxiety.  I find it very worrisome and it really came out of nowhere.  This child is scared to death of the EPi bc of our first experience and how I reacted.  I just do not know what to do.  She had been doing so well. 

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Food Allergy Anxiety in 10yo
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 08:20:06 AM »
No advice Mary, just (((hugs))) to you and DD.  Anxiety is a bear.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 09:40:12 AM »
I can relate to this all too well.  See if you can find a psychologist.  It helps.  It doesn't make it all go away, but it can help bring the anxiety down to a level that is easier to manage.  (Instead of being on high alert all the time, 24/7.)  If you cannot find a psychologist, perhaps have her write down her concerns and bring them to the allergist to discuss. 

I feel for your daughter and hope she can get some relief soon.  Anxiety sucks.  :grouphug:
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 10:38:23 AM »
Agreed, anxiety sucks.  I also think therapy may help her, and also you and how you interact when she's showing signs of anxiety.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline MaryM

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 11:17:04 AM »
Yes - I tend towards anxious so that is bad and I almost feel like she feeds off of telling me about each little symptom real or not...

Had the ped whose adult daughter is dairy/egg allergic.  He was fantastic with DD and he also agreed that this was not a reaction.  We are upping her Nasonex for a few days and hopefully that will get rid of the lump feeling.  He talked to her about the importance of the Epi and about how she should feel safest eating in my kitchen.  I am so glad he was working today :)  I am going to contact our allergist and see if their  counseling center has any local recommendations for someone who deals with food allergy anxiety.  If not, we will take her to NYC.  I can tell that she is feeling much better after seeing the doctor.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 11:38:54 AM »
I think someone specializing in anxiety, or, anxiety in children, would be good, as long as they can listen to and address the issues specific to FA.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 12:05:13 PM »
I think it's a great idea to have her talk with someone...that being said, I have had some random winter congestion this week and have experienced a lump in my throat due to it.  I have no food allergies, but definitely noticed the lump and I can see how it would be easy to confuse it as caused by FAs.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 12:11:06 PM »
Hez - thats exactly what is  going on - congestion/sniffles, etc.   She convinced herself it was a reaction and was so scared and nervous.  I will say she is fine today - the doctor really helped but I want to be proactive and not let this get out of hand...

Offline eragon

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 12:21:32 PM »
can I ask why you took her to the ER?
I know it can be difficult sometimes to tell the difference between a panic attack and a reaction, but as you must of had auto injectors at home, why go to the ER rather than just wait to see if there was a clear sign of an allergic reaction?

I think it is worth getting advise to support the stress of living with food allergies.

In the meantime, what independent steps does your child take in controlling her allergies, is she confident at cooking the odd meal? reading her own labels? and eating outside home ?
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 03:18:56 PM »
We took her bc she started panicking.  Its hard to tell the difference sometimes - happened to me once.  Was having a panic attack and I thought it was an allergic reaction.  We have lived with these allergies for years and usually do well.  She got scared and remembered using the Epi that one time.  She reads all labels, helps me cook, etc.  She is afraid of the Epi... thats a real problem.  Her doctor had a good discussion with her today. 

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 03:33:51 PM »
Do you find that her anxiety increases during times of transition, stress, or when she is out of her routine?
N.E. US

Offline MaryM

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 06:13:49 PM »
The anxiety only rears its ugly head around food issues.  Of course she was exhausted on Christmas and last night so that could be a factor.  One of the moms of a counselor from Camp Tag (the allergy gang) that the kids have attended the last 2 years reached out to me today to say that her 15 yo DD would be happy to chat with her.  Her DD is an amazing kid and a great speaker who does a lot of FA stuff.  They live about 30 minutes from us, so we may meet up.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 06:26:29 PM »
That's a great idea. Sometimes they take cues better from their peers.
N.E. US

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 10:19:29 PM »
 :grouphug: No advice, just want to commiserate.  I have similar issues, but with sometimes confusing anxiety with asthma.  An anxiety attack makes my chest hurt, can make it hard to breathe, can make my hands start to tingle like they do when I can't get enough air during an asthma attack.  It is so, so hard.  Hoping that you can find something to help her out with it.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 10:09:10 AM »
Thanks Janelle.

DD was great yesterday and is her perky, happy self today too!  She is excited about our Disney trip and talking about where she wants to eat. That makes me relieved and happy.