login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Dept Ed Updated 504 Guide  (Read 3973 times)

Description: Dec 2016

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Dept Ed Updated 504 Guide
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 05:31:08 PM »
Thank you!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline gvmom

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 11:59:16 AM »
Skimmed it yesterday. 

What struck me was not a lot of "hidden disabilities" language.  It was definitely implied with different verbage though.  Also, I think the first time I saw food allergies (tree nut/peanut) as an example was around page 20.

It has been awhile since I've read anything 504 though.  Sort of interesting to see how they are framing it all these days, and presenting the resource material.   
"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 09:37:47 AM »
In my opinion, this updated 504 Guide is partly to help reduce the 3 o phone call and cases for OCR. 

#1 -- correct the misperception on part of many schools (and parents) that learning must absolutely be affected to qualify for 504.

#2 -- to correct the wrong-headed beliefs in schools (and some parents) that if an IHCP or other health plan -- or blanket "food allergy policies" -- in place, then no "need" for 504 for food allergic.

#3 -- to make it EVEN CLEARER to schools that they have a true responsibility to identify those potentially qualifying for 504 and must offer / make parents aware.

. . . .

I truly do believe that we at FAS and others on the front lines of 504 and school issues wrt food allergy have made a difference and been part of this change and improvement.

Thank you to all here and over the years for keeping the heat on the schools and the Dept of Ed / OCR to make positive change in the lives of ALL the food allergic.   :heart: :smooch: :heart:
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!