imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Mystery reaction  (Read 2790 times)

Description: First anaphylaxis in 9 years

hk

Mystery reaction
« on: January 20, 2017, 02:48:44 PM »
I'm writing here just to have a place to think this through.  I'd welcome any thoughts if you have them.

DD had a reaction last night for the first time in about 9 years and I have no idea what caused it.  She had only eaten leftovers and things that I've checked out and she's had dozens and dozens of times.  We were in a huge hurry between activities and I can only think that maybe she had some residue on her hands from school and was in such a hurry that she ate without washing them.

Here's what happened.  I picked her up from school play rehearsal.  She ate some Skinny Pop on the way home.  Last time I checked, they do not have her allergens in their facility and she eats it every single day.  Got home and she had some leftovers that she's had before.  During dinner I noticed a large hive on her cheek.  Dd and DH both rolled their eyes at me and acted like I was being crazy.  Dd said she would take a Benadryl.  She did that and a few minutes later said that her lips and tongue felt swollen and numb.  I grabbed the epi and stopped to think for 20-30 seconds since I was so surprised that this was happening since she hadn't eaten anything remotely suspect.  Then she pulled her pants down and told me that she needed the epi so I gave it to her.  We drove to the ER two miles away (should have dialed 911).  The ER handled things pretty well, but the doctor said he just gives prednisone and sends people home rather than observing them.  She also has a prescription for 4 more days of it.  When we got home, she told me that her throat had started to close up right before I gave her the epi and that she also had a wave of fear and that her heart felt funny when she stood up.  Definitely would have called an ambulance had I known that!  The epi did resolve all symptoms immediately.

I was up all night going over and over things and trying to figure out what happened.  I'm sure many of you have been there!  I guess it may just take a few days to feel okay again.  Thanks for listening.

One further thought.  She also got her period (3rd time) right before this happened.  Does that contribute to anything?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 02:54:00 PM by hk »

Offline gvmom

Re: Mystery reaction
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 03:07:46 PM »
The first thing I thought of was did the puppy lick her?  I can't see your signature with this posting window open, but I noticed that you listed a new puppy, and I wondered about treats & food that they might have eaten, been exposed to, or might be on them.  Even the smallest little lick to a cheek, or to hands ... that seem harmless and just part of living with a puppy.... can end up with hives & reactions.   

If your DD is in the habit of washing hands when she gets home, and had a reaction, but was only eating things she has already eaten before with no problem, then I would probably look to the puppy first (if I were sleuthing).  Not that they are bad or anything.  We had a couple reactions happen when our now 10 year old dog was a puppy..... from her licking. 
"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584

hk

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 03:13:12 PM »
Thanks gvmom.  I thought about that.  She has gotten hives from the puppy a few times,  it nothing like this reaction.  It's definitely a possibility though.  I haven't updated my signature line for awhile though as the puppy in almost 3!  She does have new-ish food though.

Offline gvmom

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 03:17:02 PM »
OH!  3!  Well.... I still might check out the new food.  Especially if it is supposed to be fortified with vitamins of sorts.  We deal with sunflower allergies, and lots of times sunflower oil is used as a fortifier.  I'm not sure if there is anything in particular with dog food.... and possibly sesame or fish oils..... that might be combined to qualify for things that are used to add nutritionally.  You know, stuff for a healthy shiny coat...... 

"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 04:56:14 PM »
I don't have advice you haven't heard before, just a big  :grouphug: and hoping your DD is feeling better today.  I hope you can find the cause.  Mystery reactions are frustrating.

Hormones can affect allergies, though I'm not sure to what extent.  I've read somewhere that new allergies can pop up around big hormonal shifts, including puberty, pregnancy, and menopause.  Something to consider if all other causes are ruled out.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 04:05:51 PM »
How are you guys doing today?

Hopefully things have calmed down.   :heart:

I think that one thing that has always helped me in situations like this is to write EVERYTHING down in a journal or notebook-- not electronically-- and that way I can set it aside until/unless I get fresh information later on down the road.  I still (once in a blue moon) get new info about the reaction that DD had when she was 2.

But writing it down allows me to keep it off the 'front page' part of my brain so much, if that makes sense.   :grouphug:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

hk

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 04:10:21 PM »
Thank you CM!  That is a great idea.  I will do that now and I have actually gotten additional information today (about the symptoms, not what caused the reaction).

I'm still a bit rattled.  We had 9 fairly uneventful years due to a very tight comfort zone.  This was a real wake up call.

Thanks again.  I really appreciate it.