FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Walnut Challenge!  (Read 17381 times)

Description:

Offline PurpleCat

Re: Walnut Challenge!
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2017, 11:18:39 AM »
DD's testing history:  (the science stuff I linked about the proteins I don't really understand....I am more art like, wish I was more science based, it seems so interesting... but I do know because  those numbers were low is why the allergist opted to food challenge walnut.

Walnut component testing done in September:
Walnut Food IGE 0.36
rJug r1 Walnut 0.1       http://www.phadia.com/en/Products/Allergy-testing-products/ImmunoCAP-Allergen-Information/Food-of-Plant-Origin/Allergen-Components/rJug-r-1-Walnut/
JUG R 3 LTP Walnut 0.1   http://www.phadia.com/en/Products/Allergy-testing-products/ImmunoCAP-Allergen-Information/Food-of-Plant-Origin/Allergen-Components/rJug-r-3-Walnut/

After the initial testing when she was little, we rarely tested individual tree nuts.

Historical CAP RAST results for "English Walnut":
2009 Class 2 0.97
2014 Class 2 1.47

Historical CAP RAST results for "Walnut" (no clue what kind but assumed black since tested in same year as English):
2009 Class 1 0.58

Still have not heard from the allergist, but I am assuming it will take a few days for the doctors to communicate back and forth.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 11:20:12 AM by PurpleCat »

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2017, 12:11:05 PM »
If you live in the Eastern US, then I might suspect a pollen/OAS type sensitivity to black walnut since it's native there.  If the allergenic walnut proteins truly are the same or similar across all species of walnut, it might explain why she reacts to one but not the other.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2017, 12:33:40 PM »
I've tested positive to black walnuts but not English walnuts.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2017, 01:34:24 PM »
Yes!  We live in the East and DD has horrible tree pollen allergies that are more manageable after 2 years of allergy shots that include tree pollen.

Mac, do you eat English Walnuts?  If so, how do you handle walnut as an ingredient?

I can't imagine a customer service person is going to know or be able to find out what kind of walnut is in a food's ingredient.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2017, 08:34:13 AM »
I only order from Tierra Farms. The last few years I haven't really ordered them but once or twice.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2017, 01:12:48 PM »
Thank you for the source!