login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: false alarm hypothesis:  (Read 1554 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: false alarm hypothesis:
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 12:44:18 PM »
The first part of the abstract-- while this is clever titling, it doesn't mean what you might imagine. ;)

The incidence of food allergy has increased dramatically in the last few decades in westernized developed countries. We propose that the Western lifestyle and diet promote innate danger signals and immune responses through production of “alarmins.” Alarmins are endogenous molecules secreted from cells undergoing nonprogrammed cell death that signal tissue and cell damage. High molecular group S (HMGB1) is a major alarmin that binds to the receptor for advanced glycation end-products (RAGE). Advanced glycation end-products (AGEs) are also present in foods. We propose the “false alarm” hypothesis, in which AGEs that are present in or formed from the food in our diet are predisposing to food allergy. 

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline gvmom

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 12:52:13 PM »
What is your take on that article Eragon?

I'm all for someone looking into the aspect of things going on in vitro....

.... I just have to say that with all of my kids I had no gestational diabetes....

..... and with DS1, I probably was about the cleanest with my diet .... I was vegetarian, no dairy, no caffeine.....

But, at least it seems like they are looking at something other than feeding babies peanuts.....  :-X
"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584

Offline eragon

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 01:42:34 PM »
To be totally honest, I found this hard to follow , but, from what I do understand its interesting.

Like many studies I drop on here, I imagine dropping them in to a large box marked:
 'new possible ideas for cause/cure of allergies' and this one is different. 

I dont understand why he said the last 50 years that something has changed to produce this allergy wave. If genes can be influenced by environment why assume the damage was started with this generation?  What if it started with our grandparents? city living, rise of motor/coal transport (the 'pea soupers' of london  killed thousands btw)  kicked started it all and finally the rise of eczema, asthma, and other diseases that we havent linked. After all low vitamin D has been linked to MS and other conditions, what if that's the link?

See? one theory just sparks of another. I like the fact that this study is at least looking at things from a slightly different angle. And honestly we need fresh views on this, the tolerance 'cure' isnt going to make much of a difference for those with long lists of allergies.  At least I didnt feel like screaming this time when a study mentions anything about the hygiene theory this time!
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 03:33:51 PM »
Yeah-- it's interesting, and this is yet another angle.  I'm encouraged that epigenetic causes are now the hot ticket in looking for causation-- and that it is becoming more evident that it needn't be "you did this horrible thing, you-- you-- MOMS--"

;)

I mean, I've done enough horrible things as a parent.  I dont' need anyone outside my life making them up for me, tyvm.  LOL.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.