FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Sect 504 and IDEA under current admin 2017  (Read 4858 times)

Description:

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
Sect 504 and IDEA under current admin 2017
« on: February 08, 2017, 08:18:10 AM »
So this morning it appears cannot even get into some of the IDEA pages and others at Dept of Ed webpage.

It remains to be seen what might be stripped from the website or verbiage changed so to NOT be helpful to those who are supposed to be helped -- THE STUDENTS.

I really do NOT have a good feeling about this.  At all.
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

Re: Sect 504 and IDEA under current admin 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 08:31:15 AM »
Please feel free to post any/all links to verifiable news as we begin to see and experience possible changes in how OCR works (or doesn't) and other help via Dept of Ed.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 05:39:17 PM »
Egads. Maybe we should have taken screenshots of everything. 

The way back machine?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline gvmom

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 06:29:09 PM »
What sort of things are you looking for?

I found this:

https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/index.html

https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/504faq.html

Trying to access the website for IDEA I did get a technical issue message.  Not sure how long that has been there. 

Anyway, looks like there is stuff that can be found, but it isn't clear if there is actually a technical difficulty ... or a "technical difficulty" with a whispered "while they remove everything"
"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 12:19:53 PM »
So, supposedly for awhile, the site was down "for maintenance"or had other issues.

Hard to tell what has changed now and what is all the way gone.

Offline gvmom

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 11:00:40 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/devos-disabilities-web-site_us_58a0fd7ae4b094a129ec35b8?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

Well, it looks like other people are starting to notice that the website has missing info and are asking questions.

I have to say, that if they've actually gotten rid of that portion of the information, it is still available at other advocacy sites.  Most of us that have spent any time doing anything with IDEA or 504 probably have the ability to find that information even if DeVos eliminates it from the Dept of Ed. 

Though, if they are providing a link to the actual statute, then .... well.... there is still technically a way they are giving you the information.

I would just wonder if they think that providing a link to the actual statute will be a deterrent ..... and if that is part of what they are trying to do.  Again I would say that most people have the ability to find the information other places, even simplified if they can't wade through the other. 

Of course, one would hope that those having to do anything truly with IDEA or 504, like those in Special Ed offices in school districts, would be helpful to parents looking for information and direct them to the Dept of Ed site, along with other advocacy sites that give them good explanations. 

I actually think that within the district that we are in, even at the worst of times that we went through, the people in the Special Ed department were always the best, most informed, helpful and advocacy minded people..... even to their detriment (it really appeared like the district was trying to break that department).
"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 06:03:11 PM »
I wonder how WrightsLaw will respond. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts