imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Show LOVE to Local Food Banks  (Read 2855 times)

Description: and fellow food allergy families

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
Show LOVE to Local Food Banks
« on: February 10, 2017, 04:06:43 AM »
So, this Valentine's Day please consider showing your  :heart:  for local food banks (and fellow food allergy sufferers) by donating allergy friendly foods -- so NOBODY goes away empty handed!

~ ~ ~

Our family mainly deals with peanut and nut allergy, so I'm competent at shopping to accomodate those needs.  We are donating jars of Sunbutter and jars of applesauce.  What would be some other good suggestions?  (Trying to cover multiple food groups and allergies as we can.)

What does your family deal with so far as allergies and/or what would you donate or suggest be donated to accommodate certain food allergies?

For those families who have the means to help -- have you ever been into your local food bank to ask how they accommodate food allergy families and what you might do to help in that endeavor?

For any families who use food banks and rely on their offerings, what might you suggest as donations and what experiences could you share?  ("Guest" posts always welcome.)

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 04:39:43 AM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Show LOVE to Local Food Banks
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 06:47:25 AM »
We deal with peanut, tree nut, sesame and chick peas here (and certain forms of soy, which is probably more of an OAS issue) so I shop with those in mind.

I like to donate allergy-friendly cereals, since they are so expensive.  Also canned tuna/salmon. shelf stable milk/soy milk/almond milk.  Sun Butter.

This is a great thread - thanks for bringing it up.  A good reminder too, since people tend to forget after the winter holidays are over.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 08:09:29 AM »
So many people have gluten sensitivity and allergy so I like to donate gluten free cereal and crackers.  Then I just stick to basics like cans of tomatoes, tuna, canned corn, canned beans, rice. 

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 08:21:12 AM »
I generally give canned tuna/chicken/salmon, brown rice, beans, and I will dontate seasonings too, since they are expensive. 

I recently read some advice put out by a food bank, and they recommend donating money, so they can replenish foods that they need at any given time, and because they get large quantities of foods at much better prices than we do. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 08:29:40 AM »
I do both. I donate money to food banks, but I also donate food. I never buy food specifically for a food bank, but when I have non perishables that I find I don't need or want, I donate those.
USA

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 09:15:39 AM »
Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, there are always groups outside our local supermarkets who are collecting for various food banks.  They always have a suggested list of items that they request, so I go by those lists, and add allergen friendly items as well.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 04:50:25 PM »
I will buy Sunbutter for food pantries and donate other items that are more general.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts