FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: "Hygiene Hypothesis" for rise in allergy revisited  (Read 1816 times)

Description:

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
"Hygiene Hypothesis" for rise in allergy revisited
« on: February 21, 2017, 01:23:36 PM »
http://www.news-medical.net/news/20170217/New-article-provides-thought-provoking-view-on-the-rise-of-allergy-autoimmune-diseases.aspx

Am recalling my 2-kids-piggy-mud-bog photo I used to post everytime this "theory" used to come up.

;D
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
Re: "Hygiene Hypothesis" for rise in allergy revisited
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 01:24:34 PM »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Mr. Barlow

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 02:13:55 PM »
With full knowledge I am speaking to the well informed FAS choir, it is troubling that hypotheses thrive primarily through their retelling rather than survive skeptical challenges that produce results that may support the proposed hypothesis.

The momentum of many hypotheses and supposition in allergy/immunology seem to be dependent on insulation by isolation.  It's easy to win the World Series if your only competition is limited to one country.  We don't hear enough from Levin, et al., and WHO on jumping to conclusions that while well intentioned and bear some limited suggestive evidence, are insufficient for generalizing to a meaningful extent, or worse - in a self-congratulatory rush are made into sweeping practice changes that inadvertently create equal or worse health impact.

Offline eragon

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 04:00:24 PM »
 and to be frank, as our son is nearly 21 had enough of hearing the words 'hygiene theory' .
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 04:48:52 PM »
.... the notion of false equivalence always sticks in my mind everytime I hear certain phrases....

Hygiene Hypothesis....

Sure.  Because I wanted my child vaccinated, I am totally a germ-o-phobe who kept her away from the world...  ~)  Explain to me again why the frequent ear infections in infancy, RSV pneumonia at 13mo.... was "keeping her in an immunological bubble"?

But there are plenty of other phrases that elicit this kind of Pavlovian eye-rolling in me...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Just saying.

And yes, I do understand that the hygiene hypothesis is a more global kind of theory, that has nothing to do with individual exposures really... but still.  Given that IgE is apparently an evolutionary holdover from a time when parasitic organisms ravaged infant survival... maybe we should view that atopic quirk as being more like.... a sickling trait?  Maybe??

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.