FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Aimmune FARE conflation  (Read 2250 times)

Description:

Mr. Barlow

Aimmune FARE conflation
« on: February 22, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »
So much for disclosures about separate interests and operational decisions.  I'm about one hair away from a congressional letter after EpiGate.

Aimmune
‏@aimmune

Aimmune Retweeted FARE
Congrats to FARE for launching its new advisory board, which includes our own Dr. Brian Vickery!
#foodallergiesAimmune added,
FARE@FoodAllergy
Outcomes Research Advisory Board Announced for Patient-Centric #FoodAllergy Research Program   http://buff.ly/2aIxSxL
12:55 PM - 3 Aug 2016

Mr. Barlow

Mr. Barlow

Re: Aimmune FARE conflation
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 05:03:11 PM »
For the trifecta, a slightly older yet relevant headline.

Aimmune Therapeutics Appoints Daniel Adelman, M.D., as Chief Medical Officer

Until resigning to become Chief Medical Officer of Aimmune, Dr. Adelman was a member of the prestigious Research Advisory Board of Food Allergy Research & Education (FARE), the world’s largest private funder of food allergy research. For several years, he was actively involved in reviewing FARE’s research funding and helped to shape the organization’s overall research strategy.

“We’re deeply grateful for the contributions Dan has made as a member of our Research Advisory Board, and we’re pleased to see him join Aimmune,” said James R. Baker, Jr., M.D., FARE CEO and Chief Medical Officer. “Dan’s leadership and clinical expertise will be great assets as Aimmune continues to progress toward what would be the first FDA-approved oral immunotherapy for food allergies. This treatment could make a great impact on the lives of millions of people at risk from peanut allergy.”

Mr. Barlow

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 10:37:13 AM »
This article was co-published with Consumer Reports.

Big Pharma Quietly Enlists Leading Professors to Justify $1,000-Per-Day Drugs

Professors in this case will refer to medical academics and other researchers.

While collaboration between higher education and industry is hardly unusual, the professors at Precision Health Economics have taken it to the next level, sharpening the conflicts between their scholarly and commercial roles, which they don’t always disclose. Their activities illustrate the growing influence of academics-for-hire in shaping the national debate on issues from climate change to antitrust policy, which ultimately affect the quality of life and the household budgets of ordinary Americans — including what they pay for critical medications.

The pharmaceutical industry is digging in, with one of its trade groups raising an additional $100 million for its “war chest.” For years, it has spent millions of dollars lobbying politicians, hoping to enlist their support on a wide range of legislation. It has similarly wooed doctors, seeking to influence what they research, teach and prescribe. Now, it’s courting health economists.

“This is just an extension of the way that the drug industry has been involved in every phase of medical education and medical research,” said Harvard Medical School professor Eric G. Campbell, who studies medical conflicts of interest. “They are using this group of economists it appears to provide data in high-profile journals to have a positive impact on policy.”

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 10:53:07 AM »
Would you break this down for us like some did with the ball for you?

Can you spell out exactly what you see as the problem?

I'll guess what you are seeing and you can tell him if I'm hot or cold.

Aimmune and FARE have tangled financial interests and so we might not be able to trust FARE's objectivity.  Is that part of it? 

I don't yet know what I think about it all but I am hoping that FAIR will be fair regarding OIT that isn't via Aimmune.  I'm biased, I'm sure, given my child's success with OIT that wasn't using any Aimmune product but I also trust the allergists who work at the desensitization place we used to be using evidence-based science and I trust Dr. Nadeau at Stanford based on what I read.  The place we used pooling research with Dr. Nadeau and using the same methods. 

I think that some of the criticism I read about Aimmune seemed based on assumptions that are not all true or fair. 

My hope is that whatever happens, fewer people will have food allergies in the future.