FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Help, new diet restrictions (on top of allergies)  (Read 8871 times)

Description:

Offline Sunshine_burn

• Allergic to life
Help, new diet restrictions (on top of allergies)
« on: March 07, 2017, 11:55:40 AM »
I feel like my body is so broken!! Currently in the middle of blood workup from general practice dr for low blood sugar episodes. She has said i need to be on a low carb, no added sugar, high protein diet....I am at a loss, i was already struggling with what to eat with my allergies. now i am just at a standstill.

Sorry to be such a downer today. Any advice on good snack foods? since i am supposed to be eating this new diet 6 times a day and i am getting really sick of chicken lol. current snacks have been pork jerky, brazil nuts, macadamia nuts, dried fruit (mangoes and cranberries), low cal popcorn, celery or broccoli with hummus.

Allergies: apples, cantaloupe, cashews, string beans, beef, coffee mix, carrots, egg whites, egg yolk, shrimp

thanks all for listening and any advice in advance!
Just to name a few: Apple, String Beans, Beef, Cantaloupe, Carrots, Cashews, Coffee mix, Egg white, Egg yolk, Shrimp

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Help, new diet restrictions (on top of allergies)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 01:27:37 PM »
How about cheese sticks or cubes?  Almonds (safe from Xcontam), peanut butter?
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Sunshine_burn

• Allergic to life
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 07:44:56 PM »
Thanks for the response! I will try the cheese, hadn't thought of that.
Just to name a few: Apple, String Beans, Beef, Cantaloupe, Carrots, Cashews, Coffee mix, Egg white, Egg yolk, Shrimp

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 11:58:09 PM »
I had to eat low carb for a while when I was pregnant and mistakenly diagnosed with gestational diabetes.  Things that I liked for snacks:

Cottage cheese with sunflower seeds mixed in
Rolled up deli meat - plain, rolled around a cheese stick, rolled around asparagus
Low carb tortilla with PB or made into a quesadilla
Yogurt
Frozen greek yogurt bars
One of the smaller boxes of frozen broccoli or cauliflower with cheese sauce
Green Beans with parmesan cheese, garlic, and black pepper

Offline Sunshine_burn

• Allergic to life
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 09:55:57 AM »
Thank you for the suggestions! I am going to try some of those. It's just been so hard thinking up things to eat when I have to eat 5-6 times a day without getting bored with what I can eat! So my brain kinda shut down to, " you eat nothing" lol

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 12:53:33 PM »
When I was hypoglycemic, my doctor said to essentially follow a diabetic diet, so you might get more ideas if you search for diabetic snack suggestions or low glycemic index foods.  I remember my doctor saying that it's important to have protein when you have carbs - for example cereal might be bad, but cereal with milk would be ok.  FWIW, I notice you mention popcorn and dried fruits on your snack list - those are both carbs/sugars.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Sunshine_burn

• Allergic to life
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 02:46:22 PM »
I will try looking for diabetic diets. Thanks for the tip! Yeah she told me no more fruit 😕.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 03:55:02 PM »
Strawberries, blackberries and raspberries are lower carb fruits, so you would likely be ok with a small serving of those if you pair it with a protein, like some cheese.

Also, I was just thinking about this as I worked on dinner for tonight - guacamole could be a great snack for dipping with some raw veggies - like carrots, celery, jicama, snap peas.

Offline Sunshine_burn

• Allergic to life
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 03:27:56 AM »
I got some strawberries and raspberries today, to mix with some full fat Greek Yogurt  (low sugar, low carb) to make homemade frozen yogurt for when I need a sweet.

Also got tons of pork jerky, cheese, cottage cheese, bacon, avocados, deli meat, humus, and veggies.

Thank you everyone for all of your kind suggestions. And for the support during my food freak out.

Offline krasota

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 07:14:05 PM »
Examples from my husband's diet.  I might forget some of your allergens.
Oats.  he eats them with freshly grated ginger and turmeric, apple, and flax oil.  You might prefer something reasonable, like butter or coconut oil and cinnamon.  ;)
He has protein with breakfast, but eggs are out for you, so fill in whatever.

Snack:  chia seeds in unsweetened vanilla almond milk.  He doesn't do dairy.

Lunch:  lean meat of some sort, quinoa or millet or buckwheat or beans/lentils, a fresh salad of stuff like fennel, apple, mint, really good olive oil, and whatever other veggies appeal to him.

Snack:  hummus with carrots or whatever crunchy veg we have.  I've seen him use cucumbers, jicama, fennel . . .

Dinner:  whatever we make.  Tonight, it was baked sweet potatoes, fauxtisserie chicken, and sauteed kale with onions. 

Snack:  apple or carrots with almond butter (homemade, no sugar).  He often skips the apple/carrots and just uses a spoon.

He doesn't do lunch meat, dairy, shellfish, mushrooms, or pork.  He has to limit sugar and histamine.

if you blend frozen berries with canned coconut milk, it's like soft serve if you eat it before the berries thaw.  I'm allergic to carrots and prefer my hummus with tortilla chips, celery, or pappadums.  And I prefer to eat my almonds freshly roasted and salted.

I like to strain yogurt, mix it with lots of garlic and onion (and their relatives) and eat it on cucumbers or celery.  It's basically a spreadable cheese at that point.

Are you strictly low carb or low glycemic index?  If it's the latter, you can have complex carbohydrates like lentils, beans, whole wheat products, etc.  DH's caloric breakdown is 40% complex carb, 30% protein, 30% fat.  Veggies are just thrown in randomly as they don't have a crap-ton of calories on their own unless they're starchy.   You have a lot of options we don't:  avocado, fish, pork, soy, etc.  Mix it up!  Have fun.  :)
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline mel

• New
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 05:35:59 PM »
That just does not make any sense at all. The last thing you should do if you are hypoglycemic is follow a Diabetic diet. Diabetes have to limit there carb intake because of high blood sugar, or HYPERglycemia, but hypoglycemia is low blood sugar, so the last thing you should be doing is restricting carbs.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 08:30:47 AM »
The diet for diabetes and hypoglycemia is similar because it’s about controlling blood sugar. Yes, carbs initially raise blood sugar, but then it crashes. That’s not good for anyone whose body struggles to regulate the highs AND lows.

I see you just joined our site. Do you have questions about allergies?
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline allergyadventure

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 06:45:52 PM »
How are you doing now, Sunshine_burn? It's been more than a year, and in my experience dietary restrictions get easier over time. Hopefully that has been your experience.

I have Type 1 diabetes in addition to food allergies, and it's a really, really tough combination. Unfortunately, the only way for me to keep my blood sugar levels stable is to eat a very low-carb diet (in addition to insulin, of course). If I eat too many carbs, I inevitably get a spike or crash - or both - in my blood sugar. Some people with Type 1 diabetes can manage to eat carbs and keep good control, but I'm not one of them.

If you are still looking for meal ideas, let me know. Lots of good ideas here already.
Allergic to potato, tomato, banana, black pepper (unconfirmed)
Eosinophilic esophagitis to dairy, wheat, eggs, soy
Environmental & seasonal & contact allergies
Atopic dermatitis, asthma, cold urticaria (outgrown)