login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Fostering and Food Allergy Kids  (Read 1755 times)

Description: + Home Daycare for LTFA kids too . . .

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
Fostering and Food Allergy Kids
« on: March 09, 2017, 10:07:15 PM »
So am wondering about being foster parent and if anyone here is doing this but especially trying to foster kids wtih life-threatening food allergies (LTFA)?

Does anyone know if LTFA factors into decisions as to who cares for foster child?

Have been thinking about this for a long time.

Also in combination with non-English speaking kids too (esp Spanish speaking).

I realize experiences may be state specific, so some here may wish to post as guests for that reason.  Totally cool with that.

This may or may not be US specific.

But I'd love to talk about this.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 10:10:26 PM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
Re: Fostering and Food Allergy Kids
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 10:08:34 PM »
Probably related to this would be day care (as in running one in home) specific to LTFA kids . . . . .

So, I'd invite comments along those lines too.  Thanks.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 10:19:12 PM »
I have often thought about running a daycare or day home for kids with LTFA.  Then I freak out over all the crazy ridiculous laws to opening such a business for average kids.  It is no small undertaking here.  (Plus my house doesn't qualify to have a business.).

I think parents would seek you out for a day home, definitely.  The trickiest part might be keeping your home 100% free from the kids' allergens, particularly if they are not something your family usually deals with, or something other than the priority allergens.  Logistics could be a bit tricky in that regard, especially if one kid can and will only eat PB and the other is PA, for instance.  It depends on the kids you get though and if you want to open it up to all LTFA kids or just ones with a particular set of allergens. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 10:32:27 PM »
Thanks Space

I think for me personally I would limit my  home to handling kids with LTFA to peanuts and nuts as I feel I would not be safe for those ana to eggs or dairy (or other).  Yeah, I could handle kids wtih shellfish allergy

However, I do at least comprehend xcontam and some of what it might take to manage LTFA for dairy or egg ana . . .

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 06:14:01 PM »
Also, fostering is done differently in each province and state, so you might want to contact your local authorities about specifics.  I know where I used to live that they would consider a family's experience with various medical or mental conditions when placing children, to give them the highest standard of care.  It doesn't always happen that way, but it is a factor they consider.  For instance, they wouldn't place a child in a wheelchair in my house with four floors and a gazillion stairs.  It would be worth investigating, for sure. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum