FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Hi - Brand New Member Here w/ Questions! :)  (Read 4936 times)

Description:

Offline lakeswimr

Re: Hi - Brand New Member Here w/ Questions! :)
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 06:36:33 AM »
I avoid medication if at all possible and eat natural foods but when my asthma flairs, there is nothing but western medication that is going to work.  There are some herbal things that can help but if a person is having actual asthma, he or she can end up with permanent lung damage (scarring inside and more) if they do not take proper medication.  I'm glad you are going to a pulmo doc. 

I have found that knowing allergic triggers (dust, etc) allows me to not need any asthma meds at all if I avoid those things except when I have a cold and then I am more susceptible to an asthma flare.  Taking meds proactively can prevent this.  A good doc will help you figure out your triggers so you will know how to avoid them.  Good luck!

Offline Forever Blue

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 02:31:20 PM »
I think I'll have to dust & vacuum around here a lot more often PLUS, I'm going to clear out a lot because the less stuff lying around, the less stuff dust settles on AND the easier/quicker is it to wipe it clean.

I HATE dust & it forms again so fast after dusting.  Is there some spray or something that makes dust not form again so fast?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 02:37:47 PM by Forever Blue »

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 05:16:22 PM »
i don't know about that but one more thing to consider is that if you have pet, you might want to check and make sure you aren't allergic to it.  The difference between living with a pet to which a person is allergic and not can be flared asthma and asthma under control.  Good luck!

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 06:11:24 PM »
If you have forced heat/air, you can get filters that go on the registers - it seems to help cut down on the amount of dust.

We have a Roomba as well, and set it to vacuum daily when everyone is asleep.

Offline Forever Blue

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 12:14:39 PM »
Thanks guys!  I live in an apt, so I'm limited to what I can do w/ the filters. 

I last had a (short-haired) dog 4 yrs ago & never had problems, so I think I'm OK w/ dogs.