login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Trader Joe's and Whole Foods  (Read 2401 times)

Description: Things safe for PA traveler

Offline Mezzo

Trader Joe's and Whole Foods
« on: March 12, 2017, 11:08:07 AM »
My PA DD is going on a school trip for several days. They're planning to bring them to Trader Joe's and or Whole Foods for groceries, since they'll have refrigerators and microwaves in their rooms.

I don't normally shop at either of those stores, although I stop in to Whole Foods for soy butter (which DD won't eat - creeps her out). I have bought her safe chocolate there, but I haven't seen meal-type food there that I recognize brands of. Are there any convenient meal foods there for a PA kid fixing them in a hotel room?

I know with Trader Joe's it's their own brands and it can be useful but tricky to buy food there when you have a FA. Any ideas for what they have now? I haven't been there in years.

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Trader Joe's and Whole Foods
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 11:46:35 AM »
If she is just PA and not TNA, I think Amy's stuff is safe for her. Not 100% sure, I never buy it it since we deal with both.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline candyguru

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 08:15:30 PM »
If she is just PA and not TNA, I think Amy's stuff is safe for her. Not 100% sure, I never buy it it since we deal with both.

yes, my daughters eat Amy's products...  as an example, the one with wheat allergy & peanut allergy eats the Amy's gluten-free macaroni and cheese, while the one with dairy and peanut allergy eats the dairy-free macaroni and cheese

-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 08:26:08 AM »
I have seen more at WF that my family can eat. I do run into TJs for Sunbutter, but with my sesame allergy haven't seen a lot there for us--but I haven't tried as much either. The parking lot at the one closest to my office gives me claustrophobia!

But WF in general has been a place I have stocked up on things.

I believe some Amy's things have TN. I would need to check.  I trust their labeling for us,,because they list may contain for sesame when it is shared equipment. I do stay away from the couple of dishes that have sunflower seeds.

Our standbys: the pesto tortellini (no nuts), spinach feta pocket, three cheese kale, the enchiladas.

If she is near a Jimmy John's, DS eats there all the time. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 08:32:16 AM »
Also, in case this is helpful:

Teen Traveling with School: Hotel Concerns and Meals Away

Tortillas used as wraps have been a staple for DS while at traveling speech tournaments, FYI

And I know someone here who is PA and I believe TNA who has shopped at TJs quite a bit. I've guided her to this thread.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts