FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: EPIPEN RECALL - 3/17  (Read 9730 times)

Description: This Is Not A Drill

Offline PurpleCat

Re: EPIPEN RECALL - 3/17
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2017, 09:03:22 AM »
Not only do we have recalled epi pens here, but I am pretty sure the ones at school are part of it too based on date of purchase.   :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

They are the ones we are carrying right now that expire in September.

Need to go to CVS - UGH!

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2017, 10:25:16 AM »
However, the recall is being expanded to include additional lots as a precautionary measure out of an abundance of caution.

OK, so I don't really trust Mylan at all at this point and am even wondering if the "expanded recall" is really just bs action to try to make Mylan APPEAR more concerned with consumer safety that Mylan really is?  And perhaps those additional recalls are just to make them look good.

Just sayin'.

We have ZERO way of knowing and will never know.
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2017, 10:25:53 AM »
Meanwhile, Mylan tries to go from ZERO-to-HERO in minds of consumers and general public.

Offline gvmom

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2017, 06:23:19 PM »
Mylan could be trying to pump up it's image.... but..... right now we have Epi-pen brand auto injectors.  To replace them means that we will be replacing them not with Mylan epipens though.  Our insurance no longer covers them, or their generics. 

So, how much business are they going to lose if you combined people getting auvi-q and those of us who will be bumped over to the CVS auto-injectors?

I guess I don't necessarily know if it makes sense for their bottom line to widen a recall if it isn't absolutely necessary because in the one year-ish time span Epipens last, insurance companies are dumping them and two other options are out and theoretically covered.

How many people will really be replacing their recalled Mylan Epipens with Mylan Epipens? 

"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2017, 09:23:56 PM »
I've not checked ours to see if recalled -- will have to call schools tomorrow too.

And I have no idea what our insurance will even allow now (Tricare Standard) . . . . CVS not part of Tricare anymore.

But this sure brings home the plan we used to have of having multiple batches and serial numbers and splitting them up between kids.

~ ~ ~

Maybe while Mylan was raking in all that $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ they should have been looking harder at key components that could fail or had failed in past and sourcing from different parts providers?  Weren't they supposedly plowing this $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4 into research and development??

No, you say?

Or just plowing it all into a CEO's pocket so she could go buy more haute couture shoes?

Mais oui, nous aurions du savior.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2017, 08:00:46 AM »
Just got a call from the nurse at DS's school.  His Epi-Pens have been recalled.  Luckily he has a new set that are fine that he self carries and the school has about 6 stock pens that are not recalled.  They gave the box to DS to bring home but she is going to email me the lot number so I can get started on replacements fro Mylan.  Still waiting to hear if DD's Epi-Pens are ok.  I just refilled a script for and got the Mylan generics.  I am actually waiting for my second box to arrive because they pharmacy only had one.  They had originally given me the other generic one but I feel more comfortable with the Mylan one. since its the exact same thing as the name brand Epi.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2017, 09:05:26 AM »
Been on hold so far for almost an hour!  This is very painful!  Seriously, they really need a better system but these drug companies could care less about us...the customers that help pay their salaries!

School nurse said the office stock epi's are not part of the recall and she will use one of those if DD needs one at school.

and now....back to "continue to hold".....with really bad music!

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2017, 10:28:16 AM »
I was on hold for 1 hour 49 minutes!  How did I get off hold.  Took the phone to the bathroom of course!  LOL!  Figures.

Anyway, the phone call took less than 5 minutes...they just take your info, will mail slips to cover replacements.

I have wasted my whole morning!

Offline MaryM

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2017, 12:11:08 PM »
So this what I have to look forward to tomorrow, eh?

Allergist called in a new script for DS since he had no more refills.  Nurse at our school has stock Epi if DS needed plus he self carries.  What a pain.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2017, 01:27:32 PM »
At least you have heard back from your school, I'm still waiting and I called at 8 am.

Offline my3guys

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2017, 01:49:49 PM »
Yep, school epis are part of the recall. Now to get my hands on replacements.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2017, 02:33:33 PM »
We have a wonderful allergist.  I messaged her while I was on hold and vented about the process plus asked her about getting us Auvi Q and had some going to college questions.

Her nurse called me this afternoon.  They are concerned that we do not have any epi pens not in the recall so they are getting me a twin pack for DD immediately.  Tomorrow I will go there and pick that up, plus a new written prescription that has not gone through insurance for the replacements so I have that with the form I get from Mylan (the replacement can not go through insurance).  They will also have the form for Auvi Q ready for me to add information and give a copy of my insurance card that they will submit.  Then she walked me through how they will set up allergy shots for DD in college.  The rest of my questions can be covered during our next food challenge in April.

Such a relief to have help!

Offline MaryM

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2017, 09:03:52 AM »
I am on hold about our recalled Epis.  They say the wait time is 42 minutes....good thing I have a lot to do around the house today.

Offline my3guys

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2017, 12:39:54 PM »
Oh Mary you're ahead of me! Wait time is 90 minutes!

Offline MaryM

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2017, 01:05:34 PM »
Well my phone went bonkers and died.  I didn't call back.  I will try tomorrow early.