FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Costco...what do you buy there?  (Read 4443 times)

Description:

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
Costco...what do you buy there?
« on: March 21, 2017, 07:14:37 AM »
So we now have a Costco membership since DH needed a new travel suitcase and the "best" (in pilot world) one is currently from there...so what do you buy there?  (As well as BJ's)

I had DH buy some Nature's Bakery Fig bars yesterday, and he found their new bar...Oats and Honey.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Costco...what do you buy there?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 07:55:29 AM »
Honestly, I prefer Sam's for the quality of their meat and produce and they seem to have a better variety of a lot of things, but Costco is much more convenient to home so we usually end up there.

Typical things we buy:
paper goods
laundry detergent
body wash
toothpaste/toothbrushes
OTC meds and vitamins
sheets/towels/blankets
dog food (Costco has some of the better dog food reviews)
milk
eggs
orange juice
baby spring mix salad
frozen salmon fillets
frozen fruit for smoothies
chicken breasts
cheese
chicken stock
ketchup
salsa
pasta sauce
Skinny Pop
Goldfish
individually packaged nutty stuff that lives in the garage for DD to take for snacks (trail mix, Nutella cups, etc.)
We always look there for deals when we're making TV, computer, etc. purchases.
They also have good prices on car rentals and some perks like car purchases, travel packages, fitness memberships, gift cards, etc. at a good discount.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 12:43:20 PM »
Does anyone see On the Border chips there? That and Luigi's ice pops (the push up kind) are the only thing we need Sam's for these days, so I might consider Costco. We kept Sam's because we needed it for safe oecans, but they aren't at Sam's anymore.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline chase

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 02:18:15 PM »
If you are looking for On the Border Chips, I have seen then at WalMart.  I have not seen them at Costco.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 08:58:10 AM »
The two things we specifically go to Costco to purchase are coffee pods and bread. We used to buy a breaded fish but they no longer carry the brand.

Other repeat purchases include Lysol wipes, disposable rubber gloves, peanut free cake, flour, raisins, craisins, frozen treats (not ice-cream), milk.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 08:59:01 AM »
And usually a few Christmas presents.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 07:55:28 PM »
Talking about boiling eggs in another thread reminded me of something else we buy at Costco - already peeled hard boiled eggs. They come in a pack of 2 dozen, so I only buy them when the family is on an egg kick. They do last a while, though.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline candyguru

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 03:40:29 PM »
The two things we specifically go to Costco to purchase are coffee pods and bread. We used to buy a breaded fish but they no longer carry the brand.

Other repeat purchases include Lysol wipes, disposable rubber gloves, peanut free cake, flour, raisins, craisins, frozen treats (not ice-cream), milk.

Hi Silver Lining,

I know you have sesame allergy, so one item we get at Costco is Made Good chocolate chip granola bars, which are free of all the top allergens.

They have a lot of allergy safe products - Popcorner chips, quinoa pasta, gluten-free frozen pizza, gluten free chicken kebobs, in addition to add the fresh fruit (berries, bananas, grapes, citrus, etc), peanut-free Nestle bars, Craisins, gluten-free flour, etc. In fact, I was just shopping at the Yorkdale Costco this morning!
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 12:35:13 PM »
It seems like product availability varies widely across the country.  Our Costco used to have a bunch of safe products but have been slowly phasing them out, it seems.  The past few months I haven't been able to find the Made in Nature dried fruit -or- the trūroots quinoa. 

We still buy the Philippines brand dried mango (free from everything except sulphites), maple syrup, produce, frozen fruit, organic raisins, and tinned tomatoes. 

If Costco has stopped carrying the dried fruits and quinoa for good we may cancel our membership.  Everything else we can get at the supermarkets.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 06:12:13 PM »

Hi Silver Lining,

I know you have sesame allergy, so one item we get at Costco is Made Good chocolate chip granola bars, which are free of all the top allergens.

They have a lot of allergy safe products - Popcorner chips, quinoa pasta, gluten-free frozen pizza, gluten free chicken kebobs, in addition to add the fresh fruit (berries, bananas, grapes, citrus, etc), peanut-free Nestle bars, Craisins, gluten-free flour, etc. In fact, I was just shopping at the Yorkdale Costco this morning!

I'll have to keep an eye out for them. Not interested in the chocolate, but maybe some of the other flavours.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 07:04:04 AM »
Fresh produce, including a large bag of a kale salad blend that includes a dressing(I lighten in up), and topping mix of seeds and cranberries, spring mix salad, berries, etc...  Salmon burgers, but they were not the wild salmon most recently and tasted different.  Fresh salmon, meat, toothpaste, feminine supplies, vitamins, claritin, computers, a few safe bakery items, EVOO, aged balsamic vinegar, Nestle choc chips, some household cleaners, TP, paper towels...lots of stuff!  Oh, a very large and good rotisserie chicken for $5.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline HJK

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 10:33:21 AM »
What types of bakery items are safe?

Also, when I called Costco HQ, the CSR said the ingredients listing for the roisterer chickens had two listings - one for the chicken itself and one for the seasoning. One was in a facility with peanuts. I believe it was the chicken itself.

Becca, have you found out something different? I would love to be able to use these.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
DS allergic to peanuts