login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Have you used a generic EpiPen?  (Read 3371 times)

Description:

Offline cammiec

• Oklahoma Rain Photography
Have you used a generic EpiPen?
« on: March 22, 2017, 12:11:47 PM »
I feel bad even asking, but has anyone used the generic EpiPens?  My pharmacy gave me the Adrenaclick recently.  I like that its more slim, but of course I worry about the reliability of it.
wheat, buckwheat, rye, oats, flax, plum, kiwi, watermelon, honeydew melon, squash, garlic, pinenuts, pistachio
And now severely lactose intolerant

Offline spacecanada

Re: Have you used a generic EpiPen?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 04:06:05 PM »
If it helps, I haven't seen a recall for it in recent memory.  Granted, it wasn't so widely used until this year.

They aren't available where I live, but my understanding is that the device mechanism itself is identical to the old EpiPens (and new ones, on the inside) and should be just as reliable.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline nyguy

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 08:26:11 AM »
I've popped off expired ones into Apples. IIRC the reason why the EpiPen is not A/B rated with the Adrenaclick is because the EpiPen's orange needle tip automatically moves to cover the needle when you pull the pen back from the injection site, whereas the Adrenaclick needle remains exposed after the injection.

To be honest, if I didn't just get Auvi-Q, I'd be sorely tempted to go with Adrenaclick due to size in pocket. I typically carry two in my pants pocket (I don't like bags/coats because of how temperature sensitive the things are, plus wanting to make sure I have them if I need them). Two Epis essentially take up an entire pocket. I'd say between the smaller device size and the smaller size of the two pens together (versus the larger "clip" mechanism and cases for EpiPen) it takes about half the space in pocket for Adrenaclick vs. EpiPen. Both Adrenaclick and brand Epi offer copay coupons that are $0 with commercial insurance (although I don't know what Epi looks like on high deductible plans). Without commercial insurance but below $100K income Auvi-Q is free (EpiPen has a patient assistance program too), and even if you weren't eligible/didn't want to apply for an assistance program I believe that Adrenaclick @ CVS is $110 with a max $100 coupon value for $10 out of pocket for Adrenaclick.

I wouldn't really worry about dose reliability - they've all had recalls at one point or another, and none in any frequency that would suggest it's somehow worse than EpiPen.

If it helps, I haven't seen a recall for it in recent memory.  Granted, it wasn't so widely used until this year.

They aren't available where I live, but my understanding is that the device mechanism itself is identical to the old EpiPens (and new ones, on the inside) and should be just as reliable.

The Adrenaclick is by Impax Labs/Lineage Pharma (as wholly owned subsidiary). It has a different profile than the EpiPen (it's smaller) and is not A/B rated for the reasons described above (e.g. if your prescriber writes a prescription for EpiPen, even without the "dispense as written" box filled, it cannot be filled with Adrenaclick in many states - some states do allow pharmacists to substitute based on certain criteria though). This is Adrenaclick: http://www.epinephrineautoinject.com/

The generic Epinephrine auto-injector from Mylan is the exact same thing as the Brand EpiPen by Mylan (same size, same mechanism, etc) and is equivalent. That's at [url=https://www.my-generic-epinephrine-auto-injector.com/].

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 10:36:28 AM »
I know EpiPen and Adrenaclick are different.  (We don't have Adrenaclick or a generic of any variety in Canada, just the brand-name EpiPen at the moment.)  The old-style (pre-2009) EpiPen looked and operated much like the 'new' Adrenaclick and Impax generic: with a case, two caps, exposed needle, etc.  Many people don't remember those.  I like the slimmer profile too, but the ease of use of the new EpiPens is worth it to me.  I get very uncoordinated very fast during reactions and adding a weird case and an extra cap could be enough of a barrier for me. 

This is the old EpiPen, on the right, with the screw-top case.  (photo from Google)

(I was horrified to see a kid bring an old-style EpiPen to summer camp last year as their 'EpiPen'.  It was at least 5 years past its expiry.  I refused to let the kid come to camp the second day without a current EpiPen, which they went to the pharmacy and refilled.  :rant: )
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline nyguy

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 12:15:01 PM »
I know EpiPen and Adrenaclick are different.  (We don't have Adrenaclick or a generic of any variety in Canada, just the brand-name EpiPen at the moment.)  The old-style (pre-2009) EpiPen looked and operated much like the 'new' Adrenaclick and Impax generic: with a case, two caps, exposed needle, etc.  Many people don't remember those.  I like the slimmer profile too, but the ease of use of the new EpiPens is worth it to me.  I get very uncoordinated very fast during reactions and adding a weird case and an extra cap could be enough of a barrier for me. 

This is the old EpiPen, on the right, with the screw-top case.  (photo from Google)

(I was horrified to see a kid bring an old-style EpiPen to summer camp last year as their 'EpiPen'.  It was at least 5 years past its expiry.  I refused to let the kid come to camp the second day without a current EpiPen, which they went to the pharmacy and refilled.  :rant: )

Do you remember the old style epipens with the old style case? God, the yellow tinted plastic ones were hot garbage, cracked so easily. You essentially needed a protective case around them.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 01:52:01 PM »
The thin yellow cases were horrible.  Back when that was the style, I was the arts and crafts director to camp, and I made SO MANY custom leather cases for them for the kids that came to camp - then attached them to a necklace or a belt loop hook.