FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Any idea what this could be?  (Read 6118 times)

Description:

Offline kevinb36

Any idea what this could be?
« on: March 30, 2017, 01:53:26 PM »
I've had this for going on a week now. It's typically worse on my pals, which itch like crazy and it's also a little painful on my palm area, a bit like pushing on a bruise. I had a terrible set of hive-like rashes on my head, which also resulted in a pretty large bulge at the back right hand side of my head (elephant man lite!). That cleared up from terrible to virtually all gone in one night and I thought it was over. But then it came back on my palms and has now appeared on my fingers, wrist, thigh and neck. Those on my fingers have this weird white ring around an inflamed reddish itchy area, in a circle. On my neck and face they present as acne-like hives. It started with a single, coin sized itchy red circke right in the middle of my left palm. Thisd went away after about 2 days but came up on my right palm the same night, again disappearing after 30 hours or so. Then it appeared on the back of my head and behind my ears. I saw the doctor 3 days ago and she couldn't diagnose it as I simply can't think of what the cause could be. I'm not allergic to anything that I know of and do not take any medications. Also, the fact it is appearing all over my body makes me think it's not contact dermatitis, so I'm at a loss. Originally thought it might have been caused by some old clippers I used to shave my hair which may have had old hair in it, but I'm really not sure. :-/

I was prescribed Eumovate cream, and perhaps it's too early to say if it's working or not but I haven't noticed a difference thus far. Also been taking Ranitidine 75g tablets. The itching always seems to be worse at nights.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Any idea what this could be?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 06:15:40 PM »
That looks terribly uncomfortable!  I'm sorry I have no clue what it could be, though.

Can you trace back anything that has changed (or a new package) since they appeared - soap, shampoo, laundry detergent, etc?  Even if it's the same brand you usually use, it could be 'new and improved' or something. Something you're ingesting?
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline kevinb36

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 07:38:14 PM »
That looks terribly uncomfortable!  I'm sorry I have no clue what it could be, though.

Can you trace back anything that has changed (or a new package) since they appeared - soap, shampoo, laundry detergent, etc?  Even if it's the same brand you usually use, it could be 'new and improved' or something. Something you're ingesting?

I really can't think of anything. There was a new bubble bath but I was using that several weeks before this. Having looked online, I think the most likely is hives, which seemingly often have no obvious cause and can appear anywhere on the body. But not knowing the cause is not helping me try and stop it! It may not have been the best pictures as they only present in that weird way on my hands. Elsewhere they are more like this:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 07:39:08 PM »
Ringworm. Or another fungus. I had that on my legs a few years ago. It was horribly itchy. Hydrocortisone cream helped the itch but made the condition much worse. Go to a dermo or maybe try an antifungal cream.   
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 07:41:09 PM »
Okay, seeing your neck now, maybe still ringworm. My welts weren't always circular and some were raised like that. I do think you should go to a dermatologist. My first dermo did not diagnose mine  correctly, btw.

Offline kevinb36

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 07:54:24 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I did consider ringworm but most of the pictures I saw looked off from what I had. But I guess they present differently in everyone. The doc said to give it a week so I will have to suffer over the weekend until Monday. I have to say the anti-histemines and cream I was prescribed don't seem to making any headway, unfortunately.

Once you had it nailed down what was the cure and did it take long to clear up?

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 08:10:53 PM »
The cure was antifungal cream, and I felt at least some relief within a day. It had gone on for a couple of months with one dermatologist prescribing hydrocortisone, which feeds ringworm. That one also said s a ask cell carcinoma want anything. It was the second dermatologist who said ringworm right away and biopsied and excised the malignant tumor.

But the antifungal cream (it was an Rx, not OTC) helped immediately. That said, OTC antifungals are often prescribed for ringworm.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 08:13:23 PM »
One other thought I had - a reaction to an irritant like a plant, insulation or even carpet beetles you may have come into contact with?
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 08:16:30 PM »
Hmmmm. Eumovate Is a corticosteroid.

I am not a doctor and cannot give medical advise to you, but if that is ringworm,  Eumovate would make it worse. And it thins skin too.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 08:20:53 PM by Macabre »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 08:20:29 PM »
Also, look up Granuloma annulare. That was my first diagnosis. It is also circular.

Offline kevinb36

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 08:37:14 PM »
Rebekahhc - The most likely would be a carpet beetle as I rarely am near or around any plants where I live.

Macabre - Thanks, I'm sorely tempted to get an appointment tomorrow morning since they're starting to sting like a nettle rash now as well as itch. Also, I now have 3 small rings (they always start small) on my moustache area where I've been applying the cream. I don't really want those ugly things growing on my face, so yes it may be that the cream is making it worse.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 08:45:06 PM by kevinb36 »

Offline kevinb36

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 08:52:50 PM »
I should add that I have been applying an antifungal cream for days (in the shape of athlete's foot cream) just because it soothes the itch for a while. But that doesn't seem to be having any effect on the actual wheals. I had terrible athlete's foot as a child.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 06:41:09 AM »
Hi Kevin, I don't have anything to add- I have no idea what they are, but I agree you should try to get another appointment today and not wait out the weekend.  That looks extremely uncomfortable!

Good luck!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline kevinb36

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 07:11:31 AM »
Well they flatred up all over my head so I got seen to right away by a 2nd doctor. He says it's likely an ingested allergic reaction (he gave a name but I can't remember it). So the prescription is simply anti-histamines and to come back if they don't clear up after a week. I remember thinking to myself that I had already been taking some with no effect. But when I got home I noticed they are 4 years out of date, so perhaps that would be why. Anyway, got some new ones on prescription and they should clear up in a few days if it really is just an allergy. Although I still have no idea what would have caused it.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 07:30:16 AM »
If that is indeed the case, then get thee to an allergist promptly, preferably one who specializes in food allergies.

I Joe you get some relief, and some answers.

Do you have any symptoms besides the rash?  GI, wheezing, etc.?
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US