FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: ADA win after-school program  (Read 2509 times)

Description:

Mr. Barlow

ADA win after-school program
« on: April 22, 2017, 11:28:33 AM »
We should all revisit previous complaints and cases for access to camps and programs with summer coming up.  I personally think this approaches more robust progress in schools and publicly funded programs for students with LTFA.  A few people were worried earlier about unqualified allergist tweets about civil rights for students' with LTFA that I think it's important to look at what actual attorneys do when it comes to confronting discrimination in publicly funded programs or public accommodations.

City-run after school program takes corrective action after disability discrimination suit.

Mr. Barlow

Re: ADA win after-school program
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 06:00:20 PM »
I wanted to run something by FAS.

How do you all feel about a small initial round of fundraising to give Allergy Law Project as a way to defray the cost of a retainer of a future potential client of limited means.  This would intend a student's family facing disability discrimination. 

I trust FAS, and I trust ALP.  I am for this as an action-oriented response to careless medical statements that discriminate against the educational and civil rights of students with LTFA.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 10:36:50 AM »
What do you have in mind?  It's been a while, but I believe ALP is a 501c3, yes? Do they already have a fundraising platform set up and it would be a matter of urging our followers to give to them?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 10:39:57 AM »
We should all revisit previous complaints and cases for access to camps and programs with summer coming up.  I personally think this approaches more robust progress in schools and publicly funded programs for students with LTFA.  A few people were worried earlier about unqualified allergist tweets about civil rights for students' with LTFA that I think it's important to look at what actual attorneys do when it comes to confronting discrimination in publicly funded programs or public accommodations.

City-run after school program takes corrective action after disability discrimination suit.

WOW. And Kyle Dine to boot!!

Mr. Barlow

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 09:03:15 AM »
I'll defer to your expertise (and hope to learn from it).  $10 per person until we reach at least $500.  I believe there's a great opportunity to get a positive message out there for both organizations. 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 04:28:40 AM »
Frankly right now through the end of the fiscal year June 30 at work, I have very little time, but from a cursory look st the ALP website, they don't spear to be a 501c3. At least I don't see any reference to that. I haven't looked st other resources like Guidestar to see if they are. So the point is moot. If they were, they'd likely have a giving platform.

Most crowdfunding sites take 9% off the top for cc fees and transaction fees. Not a way to go.

FAS isn't an organization either. At least we haven't been organized in any formal, legal way. 

Mr. Barlow

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 09:01:28 AM »
Understood.  Please advise if anything changes, or any ideas spring up that could contribute to the goal.  I'll chase it down.  This goes for guest posters, anyone.