login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Lindt chocolate eggs  (Read 6407 times)

Description: No peanut warning?

Online Mezzo

Lindt chocolate eggs
« on: April 16, 2017, 12:07:58 AM »
I found Lindt chocolate eggs on which the label says they contain milk and soya and may contain tree nuts. Too good to be true for PA? Or would you dare?

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Re: Lindt chocolate eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 06:59:26 AM »
Mezzo, when we were in an actual Lindt store in February, the sales associate said that they were peanut, but not tree nut safe.  Apparently they have discontinued making the peanut butter varieties.  This was not helpful to us, but good for just PA.  However, you may want to confirm with a call for yourself.  I did not fact check against what he told me, because we also have TNA.  Ds has no allergies and was buying some candy there. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline candyguru

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 08:42:23 PM »

I would be very cautious as every single Lindt chocolate product I have seen has a may contain peanuts warning. I believe they are manufactured in Europe. I know Dr. Vadas (an allergist at St Michael's Hospital) had tested Lindt products that did not have peanut warnings several years ago and actually found traces of peanut in them, so the company had to relabel all their products as may contain peanuts in Canada.

So I would just be very careful about Lindt. Perhaps things have changed? Maybe you can contact the corporate head office to verify
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline candyguru

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 10:02:31 PM »

Found this on Reddit:

So, in my designated role as Easter Bunny aka mom, I hit up the grocery stores for suitable chocolate goodies for my twin sons. My boys are young and, as any parent of twins can attest, toys/treats pretty much have to be identical for each child, otherwise hell hath no fury. One of my sons has a peanut allergy, so I have to be careful in my selection.
So on this day, I found the choices definitely lacking. (Blame that on the Easter Bunny having procrastination issues.) At the second store, I finally found 2 Lindt Gold Bunnies. They were over $9 bucks apiece, but whatever...only a "may contain tree nuts" warning on the boxed cover so it's worth it.
Cut to Easter morning and both boys are very excited to get their baskets with the Gold Bunny as the chocolate centerpiece. They rip into them, and my son with the allergy diligently stops to read for peanuts (as he's been taught to do). Nothing on the outside box, so he tears into the bunny. He looks at the foiled wrapping (previously covered by the box) and sees at the bottom: MAY CONTAIN PEANUTS. Holy crap. He couldn't eat it, and he was CRUSHED. CRUSHED!! Easter Bunny felt like sh** and the day was just kind of shot.
Easter Bunny wrote a letter of complaint to Lindt for which they opted to completely ignore. Lindt Chocolate..how dare you stupidly disappoint a little boy on Easter morning.
Phew..okay..thanks for allowing me to rant...I obviously needed this since, it's been almost a month and I'm still holding a grudge.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rant/comments/4g3j28/lindt_chocolate_you_should_be_ashamed/
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould

Online Mezzo

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 07:53:37 AM »
Good to know! DD is feeling like it just isn't worth it.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 08:16:14 AM »
Although DS cannot eat Lindt due to tree nuts, we love them.  Some chocolate is made in the US, have no idea which ones.  They are one of the larger employers in my area and are very supportive of events in the community.

So my advice, Mezzo would be for you to eat them...don't let them go to waste!

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 08:26:24 AM »
Erik, this info the sales associate shared was new.  The discontinuation of peanut items was new, and labeling will be changing to reflect that, but, again, I'd call directly to check the facts. 

That is sadfor the little boy whose inner label differed from the box.  :(

Online Mezzo

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 08:43:35 AM »
I have happily eaten one so far.  ;D

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 09:13:25 AM »
So at Halloween, Lindt donates a bunch of candy to the local police department.  As the police patrol the neighborhoods on Halloween, they give out the lindt balls to the kids.  I realize this is a nightmare for some, but it's tradition in our town and the kids love it.  When DS went trick or treating, he would just say thank you and bring it home so one of us could eat it.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 04:09:58 PM »
That is very nice, Hezz. 

Offline candyguru

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 08:10:49 PM »

hmmm.. I checked the Lindt USA page and they have discontinued Lindt peanut truffles.. hmm. perhaps Lindt is safe for peanut allergy if they stopped making peanut products? I am not sure... I just know the products in Canada still say may contain peanuts (I checked today)

http://www.lindtusa.com/shop/peanut-butter-chocolate-lindor-truffles-28-pc-bag

Offline starlight

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 09:11:14 PM »
Sent Lindt a message on FB. I'll let you know what I hear back. Fingers crossed.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 10:15:34 PM »
I've not persued it because it makes no difference for our allergies.

Offline starlight

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 08:59:18 AM »
Hi Amanda, thank you for reaching out to us. We discontinued our LINDOR Peanut Butter truffles in 2015 as part of an imitative to produce chocolate in a peanut-free facility. We ask that you please reach out to our Customer Service team for additional information: bit.ly/1uSAa1U   Thank you!

So, yay for us who are only peanut allergic! And yay for less PB in the world in general!  :happydance:

Online Mezzo

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 08:19:49 PM »
I emailed them, and they said that the plants these are made in use nothing peanut.