login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Cashew Challenge  (Read 17961 times)

Description:

Offline PurpleCat

Cashew Challenge
« on: April 19, 2017, 08:04:57 AM »
Second dose just went down.  So far so good.  Can't tell if DD likes them.  When she did walnut, she liked the taste immediately.  This one she just makes a face.  Of course the dose is so small, there probably is not much taste and it's ground up so there is the texture issue too.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Cashew Challenge
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 09:07:14 AM »
 :luck:
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 09:33:29 AM »
Flying through this challenge.  Up to 2 tsp.  Next dose is a small cup of whole pieces - I think meant to be a tablespoon and a half.  No changes in vitals.  DD says they are too sweet.  She does not really like them but is getting them down OK.

I am thinking this will be a pass.  Two "snack" doses are left, here come our nurses.

Meanwhile I have been googling and will ask if we should try pistachios and mangos at home since they are in the same family.  We did this with pecan after she passed the walnut challenge in February.

Offline gvmom

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 10:42:31 AM »
Cashews sound good!

It is interesting that your DD says they taste sweet.  Hopefully she manages to make it through the larger doses without being too put off by the flavor.  I think it would be really hard to try and finish a food challenge if you just couldn't tolerate the flavor.

Hope the challenge finishes with a pass!
"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 11:23:37 AM »
Keeping my fingers crossed for your DD!
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 11:30:01 AM »
It's officially a pass!  Came home and she tried a salted cashew and said that is so much better!

Doctor said pistachio is not a definite due to the specific protein that causes anaphylaxis...it's not like walnut & pecan.  So while we had an hour to wait before we left, we went down to the lab for a blood draw to look at pistachio, garlic and melons. 

Went back and they rechecked vitals and sent us on our way.  I am suppose to call in later to let them know how she is doing.

So happy to take another one off her long list.  She wants to try making cashew cheese.  I told her she can and is on her own.  I use to make stuff like that when I became lactose intolerant and could not stand the smell or the taste of any of the experiments I made.

She is not allergic to dairy but she says she feels so much better when she does not have any.  Dairy makes her feel "draggy" and "heavy".

Offline gvmom

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 12:56:57 PM »
 :happydance: Congratulations!

.... off to see what the heck cashew cheese is.....
"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 03:42:45 PM »
Congratulations!!

I have some recipes if she wants them.  Some are quite good, so I am told by others.  Someone told me the secret was to soak the cashews overnight and use a really good blender so you don't end up with gritty nut bits.

Macaroni and Cheeze sauce
Cashew Ricotta
I am sure there is another one too...

The things this nut-allergic person learns from her running buddies who all love nuts.  (Meanwhile, secretly freaking out because they are so fond of nuts. Eek!)

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 04:52:52 PM »
Fantastic!  Oooh, that is such good news.

BTW, DS's worse reaction ever was to pistachio when he was almost 3.  *Shudder*  That was nasty.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline MaryM

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 09:08:36 PM »
Great news!!!  Congratulations!

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 10:15:31 PM »
Congrats!

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 07:51:04 AM »
Congratulations!!

I have some recipes if she wants them.  Some are quite good, so I am told by others.  Someone told me the secret was to soak the cashews overnight and use a really good blender so you don't end up with gritty nut bits.

Macaroni and Cheeze sauce
Cashew Ricotta
I am sure there is another one too...

The things this nut-allergic person learns from her running buddies who all love nuts.  (Meanwhile, secretly freaking out because they are so fond of nuts. Eek!)

She would love the recipes! 

It is so weird to have nuts in our house!

DS1 took a bag of trail mix to driver's ed this morning.  I added cashews to it.  He it thrilled as he really enjoys nuts.  His first question when I told him she passed was "did I buy some for him?"  followed with "when is her next challenge?"

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 12:08:05 AM »
I posted two cashew and one almond one in the recipes section.

Comment in there if she wants anything else specific. I have loads of recipes in my vegan cookbooks.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 10:27:43 AM »
Thank you!  I will ask when she has questions!

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 10:33:35 AM »
Blood test results are back.  Will most likely hear from doctor next week. 

DD is still class 3 for pistachio and macadamia (pecan had dropped to class 0). 

She is class 2 for garlic, mango and watermelon, although the two fruits are much lower numbers than the garlic.  Garlic is borderline as in barely shy of class 3.

Since her changes are the results of pollen allergy shots, it is possible we might get to try the fruits.

Will wait to hear from allergist.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 07:10:37 AM by PurpleCat »