Food Allergy Support is now on Twitter. Follow us @FASupport. You may also follow our Tweets in our new global footer at the bottom of the page here at FAS!

Author Topic: Cashew Challenge  (Read 578 times)

Description:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Cashew Challenge
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 09:07:11 PM »
That is amazing!   Congratulations!

DS can eat cashews, but he avoids cashew cheese, beczusbwe don't know of the cashews that make it are PF.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Ciel

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 04:02:25 PM »
Where did you get peanut free cashews? Were they also free of other tree nuts?

I have a challenge booked next month and I'm wondering if you guys know of a brand? My only other tree nut is pistachio, and we plan on challenging that next if this one goes well, so I suppose peanut free is more important in the grand scheme of things. If both go well my allergist said she'll likely get me to try mango at home.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 04:35:44 PM »
I have only ever heard of Royal Nuts being peanut-free.  They aren't other tree nut-free though.
anaphylaxis to tree nuts, peanuts, and potatoes; severe dairy intolerance; vegan (preference)
family members allergic to dairy, egg, peanut, sesame, shellfish

Offline gvmom

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 10:42:20 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Nut-Company-Perfectly-Cashews/dp/B01MTZYA0P/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1502984285&sr=8-4&keywords=sunshine%2Bcashews&th=1

I just got these for DS1's oral challenge for cashews.  From what I could find, I thought they should work for my DS.  He is peanut & tree nut allergic. 
"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom

"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom

"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 05:08:45 PM »
Where did you get peanut free cashews? Were they also free of other tree nuts?

I have a challenge booked next month and I'm wondering if you guys know of a brand? My only other tree nut is pistachio, and we plan on challenging that next if this one goes well, so I suppose peanut free is more important in the grand scheme of things. If both go well my allergist said she'll likely get me to try mango at home.

Navitas Organic was the brand we used.  They also process coconut in the same facility but coconut is off our list now. They were special ordered by a health food store here because I could not find them anywhere, although I found many other Navita products. http://www.navitasorganics.com/superfood-cashew  You can get them on Amazon too....but I was leery buying from Amazon for a challenge.  Also their website in general says they process other allergens.  When you look cashew specific, you find out differently.  I have a bag right here and on the bag it says:  Allergen Information:  Packaged in a facility that handles tree nuts (cashews and coconut).  Contains tree nuts (cashews)

Sunshine was my back up choice but because they are sourced in Africa I was concerned.  The parent company is here in the states.  Same ones as gvmom has found.  Since then, DD has eaten Sunshine Cashews without any issues.