FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Starbucks?  (Read 4990 times)

Description:

Offline Stinky10

Starbucks?
« on: May 07, 2017, 09:33:27 PM »
Ds wants a midnight mint frap - and well so do I.  :)

Do you or your PA kids get drinks like that at starbucks?
Spanking cats for 40 years!

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Starbucks?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 05:53:54 AM »
Aaack - lost my post!

In a word, no.  They barely rinse blenders and other equipment between uses and people add nutty syrups to their drinks all the time.  I don't even trust their teas anymore now that they've partnered with Teavana.  Why people need nutty tea flavors is beyond me.

The only thing DS gets there is a plain hot or iced decaf Americano.  Period.  But he is not PA only, he is TNA as well.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline aggiedog

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 06:57:17 AM »
Are the nut flavorings real nut, or are they like almond flavoring, which is all fake flavor?

Dd, who is PA, walnut, pecan, does occasionally get something there, but only maybe a few times a year.  There isn't one near us (probably the only corner on the planet that's true!)

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 07:06:15 AM »
They use almond milk in a dedicated blender at my Sbx.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline MaryM

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 07:37:01 AM »

This is good to know.  I have been avoiding Starbucks since they started using Almond Milk.  I don't go often but once in a while I like a Latte....I will have to ask at my local one.

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 07:50:15 AM »
Almonds aren't a problem for DS

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 10:07:58 AM »

Back when I used to go there, I know they had a dedicated blender for soy milk as well.  Several years ago, I used to know the manager at my local one pretty well.  His kids were in my kids grades, same schools.  And I was a regular for years.
USA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 01:17:32 PM »
I brought ds in there last Friday(no allergies), but I did notice his blender container was very boldly labelled, "DAIRY."  So, presume they have other containers for other milks.  Dd had gotten drinks there a few times.  She mentions her allergies and she has seen them clean the blender well. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 01:27:57 PM »
So after searching and reading threads on facebook it seems that it all really depends on the location, time of day, staff, etc.

the issue is all cross contamination and there are several fb posts from people who worked there or used to work there or whose family members work there and they all say - NOT SAFE

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 06:03:29 PM »
^^ That's my assumption.  I should add that it seems like all the stores I visit are high volume stores; they are always hella busy and it seems like things get a quick rinse or are tossed into a communal sink willy nilly, FWIW.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 06:35:18 PM »
The one near our house uses soy and almond in the same blender and dairy in another.  Things splash.  I've seen it happen - often.  It is not safe for allergies.  Nope.  Nada.  I wouldn't eat/drink anything there, ever.  (My husband enjoys a soy hot chocolate occasionally.)

They have an allergen statement on their menu board stating they aren't safe for allergies and if you search for anything on their menu online with allergies it brings you down to juice boxes and bananas, pretty much.  (I've had that combination once in an airport.)

That being said, I don't what they have with peanuts in it specifically.  Drinks may be not as huge of a risk if tree nuts aren't a problem.  I still wouldn't recommend it, but I'm hyper aware and nervous with everything.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 08:03:21 PM »
I'll add that DS goes to Sbx and gets some frou frou drinks. PA and shrimp.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline yelloww

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 08:23:51 PM »
Ds can't step foot in there. His biggest asthma attack was in a Starbucks from the steamed milk in the air in there. Haven't been back inside since. It sounds yummy though! Enjoy!

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 09:19:57 PM »
We haven't since they got almond milk. Our only location is on the college campus and they are always way too busy to trust they cleaned the blender or didn't use the wrong one.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 03:02:48 PM »
From my local allergy group today:
FYI - THE COOKIE STRAWS AT STARBUCKS CONTAIN PEANUT OIL! The labelling is very small print.

Just copying that here since it was both Starbucks and PA related.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum