FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: FDA Approves Competitor to EpiPen - Less Expensive, Smaller  (Read 2562 times)

Description:

Offline GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline PurpleCat

Re: FDA Approves Competitor to EpiPen - Less Expensive, Smaller
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 07:47:02 AM »
And not an auto injector.  I could not give this to DD.  I really doubt she could self administer.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 10:53:59 AM »
Reminds me of the Twinject second dose.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 01:36:38 PM »
And not an auto injector.  I could not give this to DD.  I really doubt she could self administer.

I would not expect children to self administer it. And teachers here will not as it is against their collective agreement.

But, I would have been willing to purchase as the at-home epi for me to give my child. I've seen a picture of it.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 01:39:03 PM »

Offline nyguy

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 02:05:56 PM »
Giving a non-auto injector to someone who has anaphalyactic shock occurring sounds fun, especially with a small child. The FDA Access data makes it clear that the syringe is totally exposed from the initial dose/entry. Have fun "slowly" inserting Symjepi into your child's thigh... (or your own!)

Non-autoinjector means there's also a bigger accidental prick/injection in unintended body part risk both before and after injection (especially after - EpiPen orange cap moves to cover needle as it is removed and Auvi-Q auto retracts).

Curious to see what the price point will be on Symjepi, it may help put downward price pressure on everything else if it's cheap enough.

Case looks big as does autoinjector, but without scale (they say the syringe fits in the palm of an adult) it's hard to gauge.

I think Windgap Medical's version of an autoinjector holds the most promise, if it can make it to market (they hope to apply to FDA in 2018). It's solid until the cap is removed, at which point the solution rehydrates to a solid. Meaning it tolerates a lot more temperature/handling conditions than liquid epinephrine in something "the size of a roll of quarters", with a much longer lifespan than liquid epinephrine too (years, not a year).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 02:11:47 PM by nyguy »

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 08:08:50 PM »
With swing and press (current instructions on epipen.ca site) it is easy to inject in the wrong place or wrong person. If you don't have another adult to hold the child, they can and have pulled their leg away.

And was it someone from here, or an article posted, that someone injected the epi into their own boob?

I agree an autoinjecter is easier and preferable. But for anyone without insurance, this could be a good option. Definitely better than a vial and needle. And definitey better than the Anakit.