Non-allergenic bandage adhesive?

Started by Penny, June 18, 2017, 06:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny

I know this isn't a food allergy question but it is an allergy nevertheless. I'm probably not the only one here who reacts to bandaids, sticking plasters adhesive.

Does anyone know of a brand or type that is hypoallergenic?  Thanks in advance.

rebekahc

For me, the Tegaderm/3M adhesive doesn't affect me nearly as much as most others. When I've had surgery, it takes me longer to heal from the steri-strips than the actual incisions, but they've never offered me any alternatives.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Penny

Thanks rebekahc, I found them on Amazon. Will order some! 

GoingNuts

Penny, I'll see which ones we have at work, because those are the only ones that don't give me trouble.  I've never seen them in a brick and mortar store, but they may be available on Amazon.

I also use plain gauze and wrap it with that stretchy bandage material. 
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Penny

Quote from: GoingNuts on June 19, 2017, 05:55:26 AM
Penny, I'll see which ones we have at work, because those are the only ones that don't give me trouble.  I've never seen them in a brick and mortar store, but they may be available on Amazon.

I also use plain gauze and wrap it with that stretchy bandage material.

Thanks GN!! 

PurpleCat

I can only wear bandaid brand and not for more than a few hours at a time.  Some of them give me a reaction like a sunburn!

Penny

Thanks Purple Cat. Me too - Bandaid brands have usually been ok. I had a skin lesion removed and have stitches so I'm using a x-large Bandaid, probably 2" x 4",  the only thing I had large enough to cover it. Now I've got a rectangular raised welt...very hivey looking. Stitches coming out today - thank goodness. Bummed because I've been able to use Bandaids in the past.

GoingNuts

N.E. US

Penny

GN, thanks!  They're on Amazon! I'll give them a try. Will be in the US in Sept. and already have stuff in my Amazon shopping cart. Much appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/Schein-Flexible-Fabric-Adhesive-9004500/dp/B004YNPH0C

GoingNuts

I hope they work for you!  Adhesive is such a irritant.  :disappointed:
N.E. US

Penny

I was so relieved yesterday when I had the stitches taken out. Last night I rolled over in bed, felt a sharp sting and the entire incision opened up! It looked completely healed to me and to the nurse prior to stitch removal. So I guess I go in this morning to be restitched. Darn, now another ten days with stupid itchy bandaid rash.

spacecanada

Oh no, that's terrible!  I would cover the whole thing in gauze and use a tensor bandage (tan stretchy fabric usually used for sprains and splints) to hold it in place if you can, to avoid adhesives.  Or, if you can tolerate it, vet wrap - the stuff veterinarians use to hold bandages onto animals; it sticks to itself but not skin/fur - and it comes in fun colours!

Best of luck - here's hoping round two will be permanent.  Did they add any glue the second time around? 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

PurpleCat

Penny

They closed it again with steri-strips. I talked to my sister, who has the same issue with adhesives, and she said steri-strips don't bother her. Apparently I can shower without covering them so - yay - all is well.  But when I'm in the US I'll buy a box of 100 of Harry Schein's and send her half.

Thanks for all the suggestions. All is well! 

Ciel

I'm glad you are on the mend. That sounds like a bad experience!

I have issues with adhesives too, finally figured it out when I was still getting hives and rashes/bumps from latex-free bandages. I second Tegaderm as being less problematic for some reason.

I think I'm realizing that I get the same hives/bumpy rash at the site of a healing wound, blister, scrape, etc... even without anything adhesive at all. My skin seems like it reacts to the injury itself??? But I also get the bandaid shaped welts/burns, so I have no idea.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview