imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Non-allergenic bandage adhesive?  (Read 3300 times)

Description:

Offline Penny

Non-allergenic bandage adhesive?
« on: June 18, 2017, 06:39:55 PM »
I know this isn't a food allergy question but it is an allergy nevertheless. I'm probably not the only one here who reacts to bandaids, sticking plasters adhesive.

Does anyone know of a brand or type that is hypoallergenic?  Thanks in advance.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Non-allergenic bandage adhesive?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 07:01:59 PM »
For me, the Tegaderm/3M adhesive doesn't affect me nearly as much as most others. When I've had surgery, it takes me longer to heal from the steri-strips than the actual incisions, but they've never offered me any alternatives.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Penny

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 10:45:45 PM »
Thanks rebekahc, I found them on Amazon. Will order some! 

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 05:55:26 AM »
Penny, I'll see which ones we have at work, because those are the only ones that don't give me trouble.  I've never seen them in a brick and mortar store, but they may be available on Amazon.

I also use plain gauze and wrap it with that stretchy bandage material. 
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Penny

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 02:36:23 PM »
Penny, I'll see which ones we have at work, because those are the only ones that don't give me trouble.  I've never seen them in a brick and mortar store, but they may be available on Amazon.

I also use plain gauze and wrap it with that stretchy bandage material.

Thanks GN!! 

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 06:47:48 PM »
I can only wear bandaid brand and not for more than a few hours at a time.  Some of them give me a reaction like a sunburn!

Offline Penny

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 07:06:10 PM »
Thanks Purple Cat. Me too - Bandaid brands have usually been ok. I had a skin lesion removed and have stitches so I'm using a x-large Bandaid, probably 2" x 4",  the only thing I had large enough to cover it. Now I've got a rectangular raised welt...very hivey looking. Stitches coming out today - thank goodness. Bummed because I've been able to use Bandaids in the past.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 07:55:43 PM »
The band aids say Harry Schein on them.   ???
N.E. US

Offline Penny

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 11:39:37 PM »
GN, thanks!  They're on Amazon! I'll give them a try. Will be in the US in Sept. and already have stuff in my Amazon shopping cart. Much appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/Schein-Flexible-Fabric-Adhesive-9004500/dp/B004YNPH0C

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 06:03:42 AM »
I hope they work for you!  Adhesive is such a irritant.  :disappointed:
N.E. US

Offline Penny

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 03:21:24 PM »
I was so relieved yesterday when I had the stitches taken out. Last night I rolled over in bed, felt a sharp sting and the entire incision opened up! It looked completely healed to me and to the nurse prior to stitch removal. So I guess I go in this morning to be restitched. Darn, now another ten days with stupid itchy bandaid rash.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 03:39:08 PM »
Oh no, that's terrible!  I would cover the whole thing in gauze and use a tensor bandage (tan stretchy fabric usually used for sprains and splints) to hold it in place if you can, to avoid adhesives.  Or, if you can tolerate it, vet wrap - the stuff veterinarians use to hold bandages onto animals; it sticks to itself but not skin/fur - and it comes in fun colours!

Best of luck - here's hoping round two will be permanent.  Did they add any glue the second time around? 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 05:50:30 PM »
UGH Penny!  Sorry!  That really stinks!

Offline Penny

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 10:49:15 PM »
They closed it again with steri-strips. I talked to my sister, who has the same issue with adhesives, and she said steri-strips don't bother her. Apparently I can shower without covering them so - yay - all is well.  But when I'm in the US I'll buy a box of 100 of Harry Schein's and send her half.

Thanks for all the suggestions. All is well! 

Offline Ciel

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 04:10:10 PM »
I'm glad you are on the mend. That sounds like a bad experience!

I have issues with adhesives too, finally figured it out when I was still getting hives and rashes/bumps from latex-free bandages. I second Tegaderm as being less problematic for some reason.

I think I'm realizing that I get the same hives/bumpy rash at the site of a healing wound, blister, scrape, etc... even without anything adhesive at all. My skin seems like it reacts to the injury itself??? But I also get the bandaid shaped welts/burns, so I have no idea.