FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Molasses & Brown Butter Cream Sandwich Cookies  (Read 3154 times)

Description:

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
Molasses & Brown Butter Cream Sandwich Cookies
« on: July 07, 2017, 10:00:25 PM »
Molasses & Brown Butter Cream Sandwich Cookies

Makes about 24 sandwich cookies

Filling:
3/4 c unsalted butter
3 to 4 c powdered sugar
2 TBS plus 1 tsp whole milk (I used what we had in the house)
3/4 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt

The cookies:
1 1/4 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 c unsalted butter, slightly softened
1/2 c sugar (1/3 c for cookie dough, rest for coating)
1/4 c light brown sugar, packed
1 egg
3 TBS unsulfured molasses

To make the filling:
In a small saucepan, heat butter on medium-low heat.  Swirl the pan occasionally so that the butter doesn't burn and cook until butter starts to brown and gives off a nutty aroma, about 10-15 min.  Remove from heat and immediately pour into a container.  Cool slightly, then refrigerate until solid, at least 3 hours or overnight.  If you are making this the day of, let the butter cool and slightly solidify, but not harden completely.  If storing overnight, you'll need to pull the butter out of the fridge about an hour before using, to soften. With the paddle attachment of a mixer, beat butter until creamy, about 2 min.  Slowly add 3 cups of powdered sugar, one  cup at a time, beating well after each addition.  Scrape the sides of the bowl down occasionally.  Add milk, vanilla and salt and beat well on high speed until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.  If they frosting doesn't feel light enough, you can add the extra cup of powdered sugar and beat well to incorporate.  Set aside.

To make the cookies:
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, spices and salt.  Set aside.  Cream together the butter, 1/3 cup of the sugar and all the brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 mins.  Add egg and beat to incorporate, then add molasses, and beat well for another min.  Scrape down sides, and add the dry ingredients on low speed, mixing until just incorporated.  Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 min.  Preheat oven to 350.  Remove dough from fridge, and roll into 3/4 inch balls, then into the remaining sugar(you may need a little extra sugar for coating).  Place onto parchment lined baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.  Bake until golden, about 10-12 mins.  Cool for 5 mins, then remove from pan and let cool completely on wire racks.

To assemble:  On the flat side of one cookie, spread approximately 2 tsp on the brown butter filling, then top with the flat side of another cookie to create a sandwich.  Repeat with remaining cookies.

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Molasses & Brown Butter Cream Sandwich Cookies
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 05:01:54 PM »
**Drool**
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 05:14:43 AM »
They were even better the next morning because the cookie had soften us.  I may have over cooked the cookie my a minute or so when making them.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 06:43:03 AM »
Oh, wow!  Yum!
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 10:58:18 PM »
Made these tonight!  Yum! Very sweet, but I goofed and put the full 1/2 cup suga in the dough... added a tad extra flour and used an extra-large sized egg and a teaspoon of water, so moisture was adjusted. 

I’m not sure if I went light on filling, but I’ve got enough left for another batch, for sure!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 10:22:11 AM by becca »
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 05:39:04 AM »
I soooo want to make these, but I'd still have to make all the other Christmas cookies that everyone wants and I just don't need that many cookies in the house.