login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Controlling AuviQ temp  (Read 1895 times)

Description:

Offline brownie

Controlling AuviQ temp
« on: August 13, 2017, 01:43:06 PM »
So we received our first 4 auviqs and my son is excited to use them for band camp in this cute little magnetic holder we found that clips to his pants pocket. However, I was going to buy an extra small frio to go with them, yet it seems like moisture is an issue. I am guessing because epipens are in "sealed" cases and auvi is not? ANyhow, does anyone have confirmation of this or any creative ideas for keeping it cool? It won't get hotter than 82F this week so we just need a coupld degrees of assistance here.
2 ds's with PA, TNA and avoiding all seafood

Offline spacecanada

Re: Controlling AuviQ temp
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 01:56:25 PM »
The EpiPen cases aren't sealed by any means... They let in moisture.  Auvi-Q units are supposed to be water resistant o some degree as well.  Either way, a heavy duty (freezer) zip top bag has kept my autoinjectors dry in damp conditions, rain, and inside a Frio.  I wouldn't submerge it under water that way, but for general use (and my active outdoor lifestyle), zip top bags have worked well day-to-day for a least ten years. 

Keeping them in a pants pocket will almost always push them over the ideal storage temperatures, so I wouldn't be too concerned with 82F.  Keep them in a backpack or in the shade and it should be fine. 

Granted, I am no medical expert here, just sharing my experience.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline brownie

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 03:33:09 PM »
OK - I've never used a ziplock for the epis...just the frio but on the allergy sales websites they are recommending a waterproof bag for the auviqs now.

A backpack or the shade isn't an option. He will be marching from the school onto the field playing his trumpet. This week and next it will be 9 hour days. There won't be anywhere to leave it that's not a 5 minutes walk. He could have the medical person carry it but then he would have to remember to get it back every single time and as he's self-carried since 4 yrs old, we want to keep it that way.

We let a teacher take epis on a field trip once and he lost them. Turned out they were soaked and stuck in the bus seat for 3 days during winter temperatures...$600 down the drain. So I'm not big on letting anyone else be responsible for them but him.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 06:23:13 PM »
We have always packed all meds going into our Frios in ziplock bags first.  Sometimes I put a small piece of paper towel in the bag too.

Offline brownie

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 07:32:25 PM »
Wow - we've never used a ziplock. ok. Something to consider. The frios are dry to the touch so I never figured there was sufficient moisture to damage an epi.

I cut down an old extra large frio and re-sewed it to fit 2 auvi's stacked on top of one another. He is ticked because it makes it bulky, but we will see how tomorrow goes. So frustrating that everything new our kids do has to be so complicated.