FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: New petition to ban nuts on planes  (Read 2874 times)

Description:

Offline eragon

New petition to ban nuts on planes
« on: August 23, 2017, 12:08:26 PM »
https://www.change.org/p/uk-parliament-ban-nuts-and-nut-products-from-airlines?lang=en-GB

I am hesitating to sign, many because I am not sure that going to ban all nut products is going to work in a practical sense. After all 'special meals' that are meant to be safe for the customer.
I am  all for a ban on packets of loose nuts, which is sensible.

What do you think?
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Offline eragon

Re: New petition to ban nuts on planes
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 03:23:35 PM »
Have signed in the hope that awareness may kick start some change.
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Online rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 03:46:53 PM »
I think that trying to legislate a full ban would be more difficult to get passed than to just ban giving out the packets of nuts, but I can also see where getting enough signatures could perhaps raise a little awareness.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline gvmom

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 07:05:48 PM »
I think it would be great if airlines provided meals again like they used to in the dark ages..... then nobody would have to worry about bringing food on, and the airlines could have their pre-packaged stuff that was already nut free for everyone.

I also would like airlines to not treat passengers like cattle being shoved into small spaces just waiting for slaughter.

My guess, is if airlines rolled out "humane travel" that included meals, that happen to be nut free, lower baggage check prices, and other stuff that used to exist, people might be less cranky in general about flying and feel more like being accommodating and understanding of the medical needs of other passengers. 

"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584

Offline eragon

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 05:39:51 AM »
petition has got loads of  signatures so it will have to go through the process. Lots of stuff on the news/ tv raising awareness of allergies.

Offline eragon

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 06:01:50 AM »
Heartbreaking, and so scary. 

When we traveled in Poland we found allergy awareness almost non-existent.  Fortunately DS's allergens are not commonly used there except in dessert, so we just avoided desserts as we do at home.  But for someone with a dairy/egg/wheat allergy?  Fuhgeddaboudit.

We overheard an American family who was visiting Polish family trying to explain their child's FA's through an interpreter (family member).  The restaurant staff was not getting it at all, and this was in a large tourist area that gets a lot of traffic. 
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline eragon

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 12:49:09 PM »
http://www.jacionline.org/article/S0091-6749(13)00366-7/pdf 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23406937 

two interesting studies about nuts in environment/ airborne

So many requests in the petition, wouldnt  simple ban loose nuts help more people? 

It doesnt help anyone with  a longer list of different allergies, shouldnt  a campaign to get decent food labels on the meals served with a compliance to EU 14 allergens be more helpful?