FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Medical Passport?  (Read 1838 times)

Description:

Offline starlight

Medical Passport?
« on: August 30, 2017, 08:02:27 AM »
At work we have TV's the lobby that show written summaries of news stories. I didn't catch the whole thing, but one of them this morning said people with food allergies should always carry a Medical Passport. I googled because I'd never heard of it and it's basically a summary of food allergies and action plan signed by your doctor.

Seriously? Has anyone ever heard of this, or does anyone really do this? Would hospitals or EMTs even look for it? From stories I've heard here and other places, they rarely even look for medic alerts, and there's a place in your phone to store that info that's accessible without passcode (at least on iphones). Doctor's signature seems a bit much.

name

Re: Medical Passport?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 10:14:08 AM »
Prominent ID with the rod of Asclepius in red (i.e., the Star of Life with or without the snake) would have a higher likelihood of being recognized by an EMT.  We are trained to perform specific sets of assessments based on information at the scene, dispatch's info, family members and friends, as well as look around for clues (like prescription meds or drug paraphernalia).  In theory a medical passport may help, but it's so situation dependent. 

One possible benefit is assistance to Good Samaritan laypersons who stop to help.  Or cops, if they reach you first.

Offline spacecanada

Re: Medical Passport?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 01:31:09 PM »
I keep a copy of my action plan in the same zip top bag as my EpiPens.  Having an action plan with you, and a prominent medical ID bracelet, necklace, etc. Should be sufficient, I would think.  Paramedics I have had asked for medical history, to which I just show my MedicAlert bracelet and EpiPens.  None of them ever looked at my action plan.  Perhaps the passport idea is just that? 

My Mum has more medical conditions and has a medical document thing clearly marked (with that logo name mentioned) and hanging on her fridge.  It contains a more detailed summary of her current medications, conditions, allergies, etc.  You can get them at most pharmacies.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum