FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Discussion Boards > Main Discussion Board

First Product That Claims Prevention of PA

(1/4) > >>

GoingNuts:
Oy.

https://nyti.ms/2eYDLZq

SilverLining:
Well...someone had to make money off it.

gvmom:
I am horrified.  And, someone will make money off of it, until they are sued.  Hopefully no babies will die in the meantime. 

The fact that essentially they are marketing what is akin to preventative immunotherapy to babies, without actually knowing or having the ability to know, if they are allergic, before starting what is effectively a protocol, in the hands of parents who are scared their kids will develop the dreaded food allergies, just is so patently offensive I don't even know how to begin a coherent rant.

spacecanada:

--- Quote from: gvmom on September 18, 2017, 03:19:25 PM ---I am horrified.  And, someone will make money off of it, until they are sued.  Hopefully no babies will die in the meantime. 

The fact that essentially they are marketing what is akin to preventative immunotherapy to babies, without actually knowing or having the ability to know, if they are allergic, before starting what is effectively a protocol, in the hands of parents who are scared their kids will develop the dreaded food allergies, just is so patently offensive I don't even know how to begin a coherent rant.

--- End quote ---
This.  And praying this never comes to Canada.  Just. OMG.

name:
FYI

The peanut industry has a hired registered dietitian (i.e., not a medical professional and certainly not an allergist) who is working the LEAP study hard, almost to the point of misrepresenting the outcome.  The reduction is not global, it is only in one segment.  I am really concerned how the findings in LEAP are metastasizing into product marketing, and that at least one prominent allergist has lauded the now allowed marketing claims on products as a way to increase awareness of early introduction.  A marketing claim does not translate into the rigor of LEAP with medical supervision for the 'at-risk' group that showed the most promise thus far.  Most consumers would not go on to develop sensitization regardless of introduction. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version