FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Allergic reaction in the news  (Read 6210 times)

Description: Peanut

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Allergic reaction in the news
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 07:29:03 AM »
 :'(
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline my3guys

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 04:07:21 PM »
I just saw this.  :-[Prayers for the family that he recovers.

Offline gvmom

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 11:43:24 AM »
I read in one story that he had eaten a cookie that had peanuts. 

While I understand that sometimes people don't know how the person ended up ingesting their allergen, if they do know, I really wish they'd put more complete information.

This young man was old enough to read labels and to know about eating foods that could be cross contaminated.  How he managed to eat a cookie with peanuts would be of interest to me.... especially if what this means is there is some product that is mislabeled on a store shelf somewhere that needs to be recalled before someone else ends up having a reaction. 

It is so incredibly sad. 

edited to add: I found the article:

http://www.crowrivermedia.com/independentreview/news/dassel-cokato-teen-fighting-for-his-life/article_fc4be8d7-2ed1-52a5-b9b8-591ed534daa6.html

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 11:45:40 AM by gvmom »
"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 12:40:04 PM »
Our NBC affiliate ran a story yesterday in which they interviews Jacob's mom. I just want to drive across town and hug her.

http://www.kare11.com/mobile/article/news/mn-teen-fights-for-life-after-peanut-allergy-reaction/89-477399391

"It's just a waiting game. Hoping for a miracle here too," Halverson said.

Bonni says her son Jacob McDonald has always been allergic to peanuts and has always been careful.

"So careful. He reads labels. I read. We don't have anything in our house. Just so careful. So it's just really hard," she said.

But Saturday night at a friend's house Bonni says he ate a cookie -- that contained a peanut -- and he came home an hour later and began vomiting.

"We got him an EpiPen, got him right to the hospital. And then it immediately impacted his lungs while we were at the hospital, and the lungs not working put him into cardiac arrest," Halverson said.

Because there was a lack of oxygen, she says they're now testing brain activity and hoping for good news.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 12:45:32 PM »
This morning news is that the MRI results weren't what they were hoping for.  They're still praying for a miracle. 

I cannot even begin to imagine.  My heart breaks for this family. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 01:55:36 PM »
 :'( :'( :'(
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline gvmom

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 04:06:28 PM »
"So careful. He reads labels. I read. We don't have anything in our house. Just so careful. So it's just really hard," she said.

But Saturday night at a friend's house Bonni says he ate a cookie -- that contained a peanut -- and he came home an hour later and began vomiting.

What that family is going through is horrific. 

Without any sort of judgement, this added information still is troubling to me.  I still am wondering how it is he ate a cookie with a peanut.  I also am wondering how an hour passed between eating the cookie and any treatment.

Whatever this family did and the events that transpired, in and of itself I am so incredibly sorry this is happening.

As a person though, with a vested interest in sort of risk assessment and trying to go over measures to have in place to prevent allergic reactions, there are questions I have, and still am wondering about the cookie.

Frankly, I don't want it to be homemade by someone ..... I can't even begin to fathom just how that would weigh on a person.  Not that something manufactured and mislabeled is better, but at least it could be recalled, rather than if it was a friend who would then have to live with something like this. 

Also, I wonder about the hour time span.  Was this another case of a disparity of how allergists tell their patients to deal with accidental ingestion?  Which then brings up inconsistency within the field that should be addressed so that future tragedies like this are given more of a fighting chance for a possibility of a better outcome.
"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 04:36:11 PM »
We all screw up. I've had anaphylaxis three times for sesame since 2012, and I am very careful. One reaction was in my home, and two were the result of eating out.

Hopefully we all train our children what to do, but even in the midst of a reaction, I don't want to believe that is what's happening.

I don't think we are entitled to know what happened. What's important is that we follow our plans. If the cookie was a store bought cookie that was a may contain or not labeled well, I agree--I want to know. But I'm okay not knowing. The family has been through so much already.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 04:46:31 PM by Macabre »

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 10:21:35 PM »
When my ds had an anaphylactic reaction he was so out of it he didn't realize he was having a reaction.

Praying they get that miracle 💗😥
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 06:54:37 PM »
Very sad for the family...my thoughts and prayers go out to them

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 06:58:05 PM »
Jacob passed away today. :'(

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 07:38:59 PM »
Oh no!  :'( :'(
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 11:28:51 AM »
 :-[  so sad....

Offline my3guys

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 10:15:09 AM »
 :'( :'(

Same age as one of my allergic boys. Takes my breath away. That poor family.