FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Reaction during post-SLIT food challenge  (Read 4825 times)

Description:

hk

Reaction during post-SLIT food challenge
« on: November 15, 2017, 01:40:38 PM »
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 06:23:50 PM by hk »

Offline spacecanada

Re: Reaction during post-SLIT food challenge
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 02:25:24 PM »
No advice right now, but many hugs for you and your DD.   :grouphug:  I am so sorry you experienced that, and glad that your DD is ok now. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 03:31:34 PM »
After processing this for a bit...
- a doctor, or at the very least a nurse, should have been with your DD at all times after Epi was administered, until she was completely better.  Of all the comments, this one is bothering me the most.  You should have been under constant supervision at the first sign of a reaction.  My goodness, I cannot even get an SPT without someone watching me like a hawk and questioning every sniffle.  With allergy shots I wasn't even allowed to use the toilet alone during the one hour waiting period.    When I had even the slightest reaction they pulled the allergist out of his current appointment to see me immediately.  This is not right.  Huge red flag.
- I don't know what equipment your allergist clinic has, so I cannot comment on whether or not an ambulance was required, but my gut says one should have been called with the onset of cardiac and breathing issues.
- I have to wonder if the first Epi was defective (considering recent reports)... but if the reaction was already brewing for a while it could have legitimately required a higher dose.
- Lack of follow up is not ok after something like that.  I would expect two follow up calls and a follow up appointment at the least.  Maybe I have high standards in that regard.

I hope you can get your review appointment soon.  Be sure to write down your concerns and bring them with you.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 04:52:14 PM »
How scary, glad she is ok.  I agree with space that a medical professional should have been in the room with her after the first epi.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 06:49:18 PM »
SC is right on point.  And yes, yes, yes on the ambulance. 

I’m so sorry you and DD had this terrifying experience.  It sounds awful on its own, and when you add in how it was handled, it’s even worse. 

Big  :grouphug: to both of you. 
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 08:17:44 PM »
Wow, so many things wrong with how it was handled and no good solution for moving forward. :-/

I'm so sorry you and DD had such a horrific experience!  :grouphug:
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 04:56:47 PM »
hk,  :grouphug:  Your post is so very scary and sad.

First, how is your DD today?  Is she feeling OK, anxious, is she eating?  Any residual weird things.

The scary part after her first EPI reminded me of my DD's biphasic reaction during sesame anaphylaxis (not a food challenge).  It happened after EPI, ambulance, ER and ER meds.  The hives were so huge I could not believe they were hives.  And yes, crazy scratching and yes, respiratory distress.

I think your instinct about the doctor is spot on and suggest you listen to it.

At all of our food challenges, we have two nurses constantly monitoring DD and the allergist is in and out about every half hour to 45 minutes.  Available immediately if needed.  They have EPI pens and emergency equipment in the room.  Vitals are checked every 15 minutes.  They are in constant communication with me and DD, there is no chatter in the hall.