FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Reaction at College  (Read 8569 times)

Description:

Offline PurpleCat

Reaction at College
« on: November 01, 2017, 05:43:03 PM »
I had hoped to never have to write about anaphylaxis while away at college, but here I am.  Sitting here with my cup of coffee, anaphylaxis is resolved, I have been on Hangouts with DD so I have seen her face, heard her voice, and learned some more details. 

My day started very early this morning.  I received a message from Verizon that DD had called 911 at 2:13 AM (I have this alert set for all 3 kids).  Now, I don’t know why she has called 911.  I do know she had softball practice until 10:45 last night and then was heading out to a Halloween party.  I sent her a text saying “I know you called 911, I am assuming you are OK unless I hear otherwise.  Text me when you can.”

Sometime around 5:45 I get a text from her.  She is in the ER, anaphylaxis, but is doing better.  I ask if I need to go and she says no.  I remind her of the two FAS Moms who are closer if she needs anything. A short time later she is able to have an ER nurse call me with her phone and give me an update.

DD’s story, after the party on the way home they always stop at a place for warm cookies.  (Why is it always cookies/brownies and no I don’t think this is a good idea which is why she never told me about it.)  DD always tells them about her allergies and they change gloves, etc. and she eats a “safe” cookie.
By the time they walked to the dorm her mouth was itchy, nothing else so she took Benadryl and crawled into bed. (NO!)  She said she did not fall asleep.  She went to the bathroom alone (NO!) and tried to throw up but could not even though she felt she needed to.  She went back to her room, felt worse felt the mucus building and asked her roommate to Auvi Q her while she called 911, then she passed the phone to her roommate. And then she started to throw up, into their trash and recycling bins – she said it’s the first time she has had asthma breathing problems while throwing up during a reaction and it was overwhelming.  (Historically asthma has kicked in as other symptoms resolve but her allergist has always warned us.)  Ambulance crew arrived during this.

Medic gave her Benadryl and Prednisone in the ambulance and when she arrived at the hospital she got Malox, an IV and a dual Neb treatment.  After that they just watched and waited.  Hives appeared but only on her arms.  I told the ER nurse about her last sesame reaction and it’s scary biphasic part, they were going to keep her for 6 hours, but extended that for a couple more before they released her.  She was discharged but with no addition meds (weird) and no instructions (weird).  I told her no softball this evening, no way no how and no gym!  Wait until she speaks to her allergist.

I insisted she call her allergist’s office and then I called right after to let them know about the lack of follow up instructions.  The nurse called me back for more info and then was going to contact the hospital for more info and then they would call DD.  The nurse has called once to question DD and told DD she wanted to talk to the allergist again and would call her back.

A few wrong choices and some good choices and a very amazing roommate who stayed calm and supported DD.

And then I spent a good chunk of time on the phone with our med insurance.  I asked DH if we had to do anything on this before she left.  Nope.  I handled the auto insurance, etc....  He just had one piece!!!!  And he was wrong!

The guy at the insurance company was very helpful and made the changes retroactive to Sept 1st so this ER visit will be covered.  Sigh......  She is now an "out of state covered dependent" and I am one aggravated tired momma!

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
Re: Reaction at College
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 05:51:52 PM »
Oh no! I'm glad she is ok!! I know it must be hard to not be there 💗
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline my3guys

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 05:54:13 PM »
Oh PurpleCat big giant hugs to you!!!! And your DD too of course but how scary to be apart and get that alert!!!

Lots of good things done here and all ended well. So glad for that!! But completely terrifying still.

I feel like my sentence structure is wacky...putting myself in your place I would be a complete wreck.

Hope she continues to feel fine in days ahead and she learns from this. Desserts are soooo tempting but I feel like such high risk at the same time.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 07:22:20 PM by my3guys »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 05:57:56 PM »
Oh wow—that was so smart of her to have her roommate Epi her. How nice that the Auvi gives instructions!!

(((Hugs))) to you. I’m so glad she’s okay.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 06:51:45 PM »
so glad she ok
l
Spanking cats for 40 years!

Offline MaryM

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 07:08:04 PM »
I am so glad she is ok!

Offline BensMom

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 07:08:54 PM »
Omg, I'm so glad she's ok and called 911 when she did. All the stories about delaying epi and how that can turn out have been terrifying. I'm glad this has a happy ending.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 07:13:11 PM »
Chrikey, my heart is pounding just reading this. Thank goodness for an awesome roommate, and AuviQ.

When things calm down, please tell me more about this Verizon 911 alert!

(((Hugs))) to you. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 07:58:12 PM by GoingNuts »
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 07:53:34 PM »
Oh, PC, hugs to you and your DD.
USA

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 10:18:51 PM »
Glad she is ok.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 10:30:38 AM »
How is she feeling today?

:grouphug: to both of you
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 10:35:32 AM »
So glad she's okay.   :grouphug: to you both!
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline gvmom

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 01:46:58 PM »
Super scary!  I am so glad that your DD is okay PC! 

I'm also sorry one Mom to another.... having to wade through an emergency like this, and the roller coaster for you!

It is good you've been able to see her face and talk to her. 

:grouphug:
"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 05:29:01 PM »
She is very very tired, eczema is coming out a bit (typical), but she is feeling good, eating and going to class and labs. Her peak meter numbers are good so she has not needed her inhaler. She had a hard time going to sleep last night.  I told her to stop drinking coffee in the afternoon to be awake and that her body needs to heal from the trauma and she won't feel 100% for awhile.  I keep suggesting going to bed early, she's like, Mom, this is college!  Nobody goes to sleep early.  So she is feisty too, another good sign.

She "is so ready to come home" and I'm ready for her to come home too.  Soon.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 06:36:26 AM »
So, we had a significant conversation last night.  DD said this was the most violent anaphylaxis she has ever had.  The muscles in her neck and chest really hurt a lot because of how hard and significant she threw up.  She said the amount of mucus was very very scary.  (thank goodness her body purged!)

I am guessing peanut is the culprit.

She showed me the ingredient label for the sugar cookie when we were talking and I said, yes, I understand, but you now firsthand understand that cross contamination makes buying this cookie a very bad choice.  She said yes.  She is so sad.  It reminds me of her Kindergarten days when she realized she could not eat what the other kids did. 

Then I reminded her, I packed you a bin of safe snacks.  Take one in your purse and at the end of the evening, while your friends enjoy their cookies, you eat that and know you will go back to the dorm happy and safe.

She also admitted to being very scared and feeling needy.  I told her that is completely understandable and she can call or text as often as she needs until she feels more settled and safe.

I so wish I could show up at her softball games on Saturday and give her a huge hug.  I have confidentially let the mom who makes safe food and buys safe snacks for her know what has happened and she said she will give DD a huge hug for me and watch out for her.  She is so great about the food I am not worried there (they have a niece with allergies, more than DD has).  DD should not be either.  But I did tell the mom DD might be timid about eating.

And DD and I are counting the days....she flys home on the 16th!  It's getting closer.