FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: UPDATE: New Policy for School Parties -opinions needed  (Read 11391 times)

Description:

Online spacecanada

Re: New Policy for School Parties -opinions needed
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 02:56:27 PM »
Seriously the easy fix is no food parties...why schools don’t just go to this to keep kids safe is beyond me.
THIS!!!  Seriously, we haven't had food at a group I volunteer with for over five years and not once has a kid mentioned that it would have been more fun with food. 

I like gvmom's abbreviated letter.  It's more direct, more likely to be read, and likely to start meaningful discussions (if they are open to discussion at this point.)
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline MaryM

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 03:42:41 PM »
I agree.  I have to write to the superintendent and the person who is supposedly coming up with a district wide policy.  I know there are a number of elementary schools in the district that do no food.  I am sure he parents will be so upset but I could care less.  And now I am dealing with idiots at the Middle School.  Its is unbelievable how things seem to be moving backwards here.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 06:50:29 AM »
I heard back from the principal last night.  My letter was longer than you all suggested bc my DD and her 504 aren't the issue.  I am allowed to be at her parties and I am there to control what comes in.  They really needed some education on a few matters and there are kids who have ben denied 504 plans in other classes that I worry about.  I had a long chat with the PTA president who was glad to have real feedback about things that could go wrong; things she never considered.

Response from principal:

Thank you for reaching out to us.  You bring up some very good points for us to further review for our upcoming parties.  We will continue to review our current practices to make the parties safe and enjoyable for all.

Mrs. V Mrs. S and I will meet again soon to review.

I do hope they review them prior to the next party bc it could be disastrous if they don't...

I emailed the assistant principal at DS's school about the box tops prize.  This morning I emailed the homeroom teacher just to let her know I had sent an email to principal.  She did not choose the prize, as far as I know.  I was nice.  I thanked her for making sure the kids with dietary restrictions would have something but said in the future I am not comfortable providing a prize the entire class cannot share and that I had told the PTA my concerns prior to  working on the box tops.  Whatever.  Hopefully it works out for the next contest. 

Offline gvmom

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 11:02:01 AM »
DD and her 504 aren't the issue

Yet.

The mention of your 504 is to just make it clear that you have a vested interest & knowledge of the law.  In case they forgot.  Which, they likely did if they were formulating a process that included that letter which violates protections that a 504 extends. 

It is good that you seem to have a responsive administration.  Did they state that they weren't going to use that letter though?
"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584

Offline MaryM

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 11:28:13 AM »
They know that I know the law and they also know I will fight for what my DD needs and if necessary get my allergist's backup for those things.  I had to do that a few years ago when I had her 504 changed to allow me or my husband at all the parties (only 2 parents per party back then, now they allow 3).  This is our last year at this school and I am the room parent so there will be nothing unsafe in DD's class. 

They did not mention if they were going to use that letter, just that they would review.  I will be resigning from all of my volunteering positions if they use the letter and form.  I do a lot at the school and I am happy to make them scramble for the remainder of the year.  I have nothing to lose since in June we are out! I cannot wait to be done.....I haven't told them that but my family knows and DD knows and she is ok with it.  She's done too - totally happy to take a half day and do something better than a crappy party at school.

I will be at the school this afternoon and I would not be surprised if the principal asked to chat.  I don't really have the time today but I will if he seeks me  out.  He is responsive.

What I really need to do is sit down and compose a letter to the person who is working on a district wide policy.  I have a lot to say about that.  I am so tired of the stress these allergy issues are causing.

Offline MaryM

Re: UPDATE: New Policy for School Parties -opinions needed
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 02:40:42 PM »
PTA President just called to tell me that the ridiculous new policy will not be happening!  Parties will remain free from all allergens in the class.  Hopefully at some point they will address the disparity between the different classes in the same grade but at least the ridiculous idea they had tried to implement will not happen.

Offline my3guys

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 03:41:58 PM »
Excellent news!

Online spacecanada

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 02:58:58 PM »
Phew!

Sometimes good intentions just make things more complicated.  But I'm glad this one worked its way full circle and back to a safe situation.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2017, 11:47:11 AM »
Mary, I’m glad this resolved well. How infuriating that you had to even take them to task on it.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2017, 08:59:28 AM »
Thank goodness for someone's common sense!!!