login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Christmas Candy  (Read 6245 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Christmas Candy
« on: November 26, 2017, 07:45:14 AM »
It’s that time of year again. I thought it might be a good idea to have a current thread about candy we find.

Please include what country you are in. And what country product is manufactured in if you have it.

Offline SilverLining

Re: Christmas Candy
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 07:48:24 AM »
I tend to like candy canes that are not just normal. This year I found

Hershey’s Candy Canes in chocolate and mint flavour. Sounds yummy to me. They are full size, product of USA though I am in Canada.

No peanuts/nuts, and no may contain, which their website says they do label for.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 11:03:55 AM »
I need to remember the name of the ribbon candy we’ve  bought. I think I get it at Michael’s.

I bought Bob’s candy canes the other day. They’re our favorite.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 11:10:36 AM »
It’s Sevigny’s ribbon candy, and it looks like they make the ribbon candy Russell Stover sells (but I do not know that Russell Stover’s is safe).

http://www.fbwashburncandy.com
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 05:46:03 PM »
I tend to like candy canes that are not just normal. This year I found

Hershey’s Candy Canes in chocolate and mint flavour. Sounds yummy to me. They are full size, product of USA though I am in Canada.

No peanuts/nuts, and no may contain, which their website says they do label for.

A standing favorite in our home for many years!

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 05:57:02 PM »
 We always bought Allan. But they were bought out, I think by Hershey.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 06:56:17 AM »
I bought Spangler candy canes.

Was looking at something on line and ran into this...Red Bird Candy Puffs
http://piedmontcandy.com/faqs/

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 06:46:08 AM »
Not exactly candy....

Metro sells Campbell’s shortbread which is safe for peanut/treenut allergies.

http://www.campbellsshortbread.co.uk

They always sell out, so stock up.

Offline candyguru

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 10:30:42 PM »
We always bought Allan. But they were bought out, I think by Hershey.

Yes, we also bought Allan candy canes for many years (Allan was the #1 candy cane manufacturer in Canada) but Hershey bought Allan and then stopped making candy canes so that option was gone.

We now buy TruJoy candy canes at Whole Foods as they are allergy safe.

Most other candy canes in Canada are peanut-free but may contain wheat, or eggs, etc.

When we were in Florida this month we saw lots of safe Sprangler candy canes at Walmart.
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 03:42:17 PM »
Not exactly candy....

Metro sells Campbell’s shortbread which is safe for peanut/treenut allergies.

http://www.campbellsshortbread.co.uk

They always sell out, so stock up.

I found some the other day, I don't think DS has ever had packaged scottish shortbread before...he probably won't even like it, oh well, more for me!

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 04:32:40 PM »
Ah, I wondered what happened to the Allan ones.  So sad.  I used to buy ten cases of them every year to enjoy year-round as a sweet treat.  My husband was just asking about the rainbow ones yesterday too and I said we'd look for them, but not now since they don't exist any more. 

Bulk Barn had Spangler large candy canes and the label was much like that of Allan, with free from X, Y, Z (I forget what all the list included, but for sure free from peanuts, tree nuts, milk and wheat) and made on dedicated lines in a PN-free facility.  I bought a few, and may go back to buy a bunch more to enjoy throughout the year. 

Dare makes PN/TN-free shortbread also. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 08:05:37 PM »
Some Bulk Barn have Robrtson’s candy. So far all I’ve found is the Clear Candy Toys. I bought a bag for us, and one for each of the kid’s families.

I would have liked to get some of the Old Fashioned Christmas candy and Chicken Bones.

Offline Ciel

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 08:16:36 PM »
I saw  Wholesome candy canes at Whole Foods.

Organic Cane Sugar, Organic Brown Rice Syrup, Natural Peppermint Flavor, Color Added (Organic Fruit Juice)

Go Organic this holiday season with Wholesome Organic Candy Canes! Say goodbye to artificial colors or flavors, these candy canes are made with just four simple ingredients including natural peppermint oil, organic fruit juice for color and Wholesome Fair Trade Organic Cane Sugar. They're also free from gluten, dairy, nuts and high fructose corn syrup. These delicious minty candy canes are sure to put your family in the holiday spirit!

Contain No Artificial Colors or Flavors
Corn Syrup Free
Made in a Nut-Free Facility
Dairy Free/Casein Free
Gluten Free
Made in Canada
Vegan & Kosher

Offline candyguru

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 05:27:27 PM »
Ah, I wondered what happened to the Allan ones.  So sad.  I used to buy ten cases of them every year to enjoy year-round as a sweet treat.  My husband was just asking about the rainbow ones yesterday too and I said we'd look for them, but not now since they don't exist any more. 

Yes, we bought Allan candy canes for years .. for some reason Hershey bought Allan's and shut down the candy cane manufacturing.

Loblaws had some safe candy canes made by Wholesome this year - the brand Ciel mentioned :)

Not easy to find Spangler candy canes in Canada - thanks for the tip about Bulk Barn.

Laura Secord also had lots of allergy safe chocolates this year (peanut-free, gluten-free, egg-free).. they had rosebuds, caramel filled chocolate maple leafs, and also chocolate Santas! IN case anyone is doing Boxing Day shopping.

And there is also Freddo at Dollarama which has several peanut-free, egg-free, gluten-free varieties
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2020, 09:33:41 PM »
The Campbell’s shortbread is now “May contain”.