FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Epi-Pens now FREE to all youth under 25 in Ontario  (Read 2881 times)

Description: and all prescription medication is free too

Offline candyguru

Epi-Pens now FREE to all youth under 25 in Ontario
« on: January 01, 2018, 05:11:37 PM »
The Ontario government launched the new youth pharmacare program on January 1 (today).

Much prescription medication, including epi-pens, are now free for youth under the age of 25.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Canadians at risk of an anaphylactic reaction should carry an epinephrine auto-injector with them at all times, in case of an emergency. We believe strongly that everyone who requires this potentially life-saving medication should have it, regardless of price or ability to pay. While we are fortunate to live in a country with a strong public health care system, we recognize that there are Canadians who are not covered by a private or public drug plan and may not be able to afford an auto-injector.

http://foodallergycanada.ca/2017/05/food-allergy-canada-welcomes-ontario-government-youth-pharmacare-plan/
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 08:42:11 PM by candyguru »
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Epi-Pens now FREE to all youth under 25 in Ontario
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 07:15:47 PM »
Cool!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline candyguru

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 10:10:16 PM »
As was written by someon, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Epi-pens are covered which is our main concern as they are not cheap.
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 08:57:37 AM »
A lot of pharmacists are going to be screamed at by people who either misunderstood or read an article that didn’t clarify that it is only prescriptions covered under the ODB.

And candyguru, I do not think you would be one of those screaming parents.

My complaint is.....we pay for coverage. One policy covers 90% of things covered under ODB and 50% of prescriptions not covered under it. The other policy DS has only covers prescriptions under the ODB at 80 or 90%, I don’t remember which.  Our cost for the policy does not change...but they no longer pay for ODB meds. I’d like them to cover a higher percentage on non-ODB meds. Or increase the vision care portion for kids under 25. (One did just increase dental max, so that’s good.)

Some non-ODB meds we have needed are antibiotics that my son is not allergic to, a puffer prescribed for DH.  And if an alternative autoinjecter becomes available, it’s not covered either.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 04:43:49 PM »
Oral contraceptives are one of the covered Rx.  :thumbsup:

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 08:27:46 PM »
I have heard some asthma inhalers are covered as well. So exciting for Ontario!
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline candyguru

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 08:41:43 PM »
And candyguru, I do not think you would be one of those screaming parents.

True.. the only time I screamed at the drug store is the first time I saw peanut-free Mars bars!!  Woohoo! :happydance:

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 08:50:16 PM »
I have heard some asthma inhalers are covered as well. So exciting for Ontario!

Yes. Anything currently covered under the ODB.

Offline Ciel

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 01:37:23 PM »
I read the letter when it came in the mail, but didn’t research any further since it doesn’t affect me directly. I am on the Trillium programme and it covers most of what I need, but yeah, not everything.

But the epipens for kids who need them is fantastic. It won’t do anything for lack of education but I think it will be huge for parents who can’t really afford to get them for their kids — many loving parents will go without their own, perhaps vital, prescriptions to be able to buy just one autoinjector for their child. This will hopefully mean that the parent is able to take care of their children and their own health needs at the same time. So many people are denied Ontario Works or ODSP benefits because they are working, but that job may be minimum wage without benefits....