FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Gout diet  (Read 3053 times)

Description:

Offline hedgehog

Gout diet
« on: March 26, 2018, 08:49:04 PM »
This isn’t for me. My friend went to the doctor today and it was confirmed that his foot pain is gout. I often make food for him. This is the hiking friend, so picnic lunches when we hike, dinners with our trivia team, and I usually bring breakfast if I sleep over at their house (which I will do next week). So I am looking for ideas if anyone is familiar with what foods are allowed and what should be limited.
USA

Offline hedgehog

Re: Gout diet
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 03:43:37 PM »
No help from SOAK? Well, I did figure out a breakfast.  I saw from a few reliable sources that cherries are supposed to be good for gout, so I am making Julia Child's clafouti, and thinking of increasing the cherries in the recipe.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/food/2012/08/11/julia-childs-cherry-clafouti-recipe/13367/
USA

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 04:41:23 PM »
I think you’re supposed to avoid meat and shellfish, particularly shrimp?  I think prurines are the culprit?
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 09:08:07 PM »
Yeah.  And his favorite food is bacon.  In fact, at a brunch buffet over the weekend he indulged in bacon, sausage, shrimp, various other foods, and then had a flare up. 
USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 08:46:00 AM »
So I could just post what we eat at home. No meat and especially no shrimp!  Lol.

It’s not hard to avoid meat.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 09:43:34 AM »
Yeah, I could do some meatless stuff.  But I am a committed carnivore, and loves his meat, though for years he has been saying people in general, and himself in particular, should eat less meat. So yes, some meatless, but sometimes I need to include meat, definitely.
USA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 10:16:00 PM »
My personal thoughts are that his day to day eating habits are up to him.  That said, I understand you wish to try to accommodate the healthiest options for your friend. I’d say try your best to concoct recipes with the limitations in mind.  I think if it’s an occasional meal, and you use small amounts of offending  foods, you’ll be fine.  Gout is more about a cumulative issue of foods, predisposition, and, if known, medication that controls it.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy