FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Study: Economic Impact of Food Allergies  (Read 3557 times)

Description: opportunity to participate (online survey)

Offline spacecanada

Study: Economic Impact of Food Allergies
« on: May 18, 2018, 05:29:08 PM »
This arrived in my inbox from Food Allergy Canada this week, regarding a study about the impact of food allergies on individuals and families.  Adults with food allergies and parents of children with allergies can all participate.  I had no idea how to answer the question about how much 'specialty foods' cost our family - it's not something I ever kept rack of, but I know the costs are high.  I've copied and pasted the details of the study below (bolded is mine):

From the research team

The research team, led by Dr. Ann Clarke of the University of Calgary, is looking at the economic challenges experienced by adults and parents/caregivers of children living with a food allergy.

Eligibility
This study is open to all Canadians living with food allergy. Participating adults or children (ages 0-18) must have received a food allergy diagnosis from an allergist, family doctor, or pediatrician, and live in Canada. Please contact your physician if you have questions about your or your child’s allergies.

How to participate
The person most knowledgeable about the impact of food allergy in your household is invited to complete a secure, online survey that will include questions on your/your child’s:
food and related allergies, reactions, treatments, and family history of allergies
health care use (i.e. doctor visits, allergy tests, emergency department visits, medications)
time missed from work, housework, volunteer activities

This survey should take up to 20 minutes to complete. To thank you for your time, participants who complete the survey will be entered into a draw to win one of ten pre-paid $50 Visa gift cards.

Following the completion of the survey, you will be asked to complete a shorter survey about other food allergic members in your household (if applicable). A link to this second survey will be provided upon completion of the first survey.

This shorter survey should take up to 15 minutes to complete for each additional food allergic individual. We understand that this requires a greater investment of your time; however, an accurate picture of the total household costs is critical to understanding the economic impact of food allergy on Canadians and their families.

Confidentiality
Participation in this study is entirely voluntary. You may refuse to participate, or you may discontinue your participation at any time without explanation. All information obtained during this study will be kept strictly confidential. The research data will be available only to the research team. This study has been approved by the University of Calgary Conjoint Health Research Ethics Board (Study #17-1350).

Complete the survey
Click on this link to start the survey: https://ca.surveygizmo.com/s3/50021259/CanadianFoodAllergyEconomicSurvey

The survey will be open until July 13, 2018.

Questions
If you have any questions about the study, please contact:
Chynace Lambalgen at cjvanlam@ucalgary.ca
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum