FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Homemade barbecue sauce  (Read 5972 times)

Description: Recipes wanted

Offline spacecanada

Homemade barbecue sauce
« on: June 11, 2018, 05:56:49 PM »
Hey everyone,

Summertime means all the neighbours are out grilling their dinners and it has me craving barbecue.  (We don't actually have a barbecue, but we have a cast iron grill pan.)  Since Kraft bought out the barbecue sauce we used to use, and won't tell me one way or the other if it's safe any more (the old 'we'll label if we think there's a risk' story), I haven't had store-bought barbecue sauce in many years.  My attempts at making barbecue sauce have been ok, but not stellar. 

So, does anyone have a great from-scratch barbecue sauce they're willing to share?  I'm willing to try sauces from different regions too - anything to add a little barbecue flavour our summer menus. 

Thank you!
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Homemade barbecue sauce
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 06:33:47 PM »
Here's the basic recipe I use from my uncle. It's pretty easy to tweak for different tastes - hopefully you can find allergy safe ingredients.

1 stick margerine or butter
3 cups ketchup
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp. BBQ spice
1/3 cup liquid smoke (hickory is what his recipe calls for - I use whatever)
1 tbsp. seasoned pepper (I use Cavender's instead)

Melt margerine, add brown sugar and stir well over low heat. Add remaining ingredients and continue heating over low heat until heated well.

Can be used right away, but is even better later.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 06:35:25 PM by rebekahc »
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 08:32:39 PM »
I don't know what BBQ spice or seasoned pepper are, could you please describe them?  I haven't found a safe Worcestershire sauce or liquid smoke in years - might be worth a try looking again.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 09:20:09 PM »
BBQ spice is a seasoning blend found on the spice aisle. If you can't find a premade blend, you can find recipes to mix your own. It's a mixture of salt, pepper, paprika, red pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, etc. - cheaper to buy the blend unless you routinely use all the ingredients.

Seasoned pepper can be found on the spice aisle also (I know lawry's makes one), but I choose to use Cavender's Greek Seasoning (yellow package) instead. Also available on the spice aisle, though maybe just a regional thing?  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cavender-s-All-Purpose-Greek-Seasoning-8-Oz/10451917?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=5416&adid=22222222227009999188&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=40886577512&wl4=aud-273067695102:pla-43811152727&wl5=9027197&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=10451917&wl13=5416&veh=sem

Here's a recipe for vegan Worcestershire sauce if you can't find one off the shelf.
https://www.marthastewart.com/258132/homemade-vegan-worcestershire-sauce

Might be worth just finding a substitute for such a small amount, though. Maybe something with a similar flavor like Pickapeppa sauce? https://www.amazon.com/Pickapeppa-BHBAZUSF0518A359-Sauce-5oz/dp/B0001CVIE4

Not sure what to tell you about the liquid smoke - I've just always used it and never researched it. So far we've never had a problem with it. This is the one I always buy https://www.target.com/p/colgin-all-natural-hickory-liquid-smoke-4oz/-/A-12935992?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Grocery+Essentials+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Grocery&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=t&location=9027197&gclid=Cj0KCQjwu_jYBRD8ARIsAC3EGCJdiapdCJLjIoWvr37cPt5GNtwsywaEaB3TLyxfnuMRuQrt2vFe88oaAshEEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 10:26:59 PM »
I think part of the problem in sourcing these ingredients is that I'm in Canada, not America, so none of the brands or products you reference are familiar or available here.  I'll try to look into it, though I welcome any other recipes that might be out there with more basic ingredients. 

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 06:46:27 AM »
SC, if you can't find a safe liquid smoke, you can try substituting smoked paprika.  You'll just have to play around with amounts.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 01:16:37 PM »
Space, aren’t you vegetarian—and even vegan? What do you use bbq sauce for?

This is a serious question. I don’t think my kiddo has had bbq sauce since going vegetarian 13 years ago.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 01:21:13 PM »
Here’s one with some different ingredients. I do not like smoke flavor, so if we were going to make a sauce, we’d just make one without.

This was posted as a Kansas City BBQ sauce. I don’t know about that. And I’ve never made this. But looking at the ingredients, this is one I could do.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
2 cups ketchup
1/3 cup molasses
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions
Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Add ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, chili powder, black pepper, and cayenne pepper and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes, stirring frequently.

Transfer sauce to the jar of a blender and blend until smooth. Let cool to room temperature, transfer to a jar and store in refrigerator for up to a month.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 01:27:50 PM »
Thanks for the links, Rebekah - I'll have to call/email all those companies over the next few weeks as I've never heard of them before.  (Contacting companies is super stressful for me - though I've had a recent string of amazing luck: 3 for 3 this week with finding new safe foods.)

Good question, Mac: I'm thinking of putting it on grilled tofu mostly, but also on grilled veggies and in baked beans.  My husband likes veggie burgers too, though he just uses sauce from the store.  I may make black bean burgers this summer.

That recipe looks much more familiar to me, and I have all of those ingredients already, thank you!  I'm still curious about Rebekah's recipe, though.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 04:35:31 PM »
If you would like to take a look at the Penzy's spices website, and call them, I actually live about 25 minutes from a physical store and would send you products.  They have great customer service, and seem very allergy aware for our allergens.

I have used McCormick smoked paprika for a smoky flavor in rubs. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 01:53:33 PM »
I made Rebekah's recipe today and I think it is good, though I hope the flavours develop some more overnight in the fridge. (The vinegar in the ketchup needs to melllow a bit.)  I used liquid smoke, McCormick spicy pepper medley, and McCormick steak spice (I couldn't find barbecue spice on its own), and omitted Worcestershire since all the varieties had barley and fish in them.

Barbecue tofu for supper tonight!

I will try Mac's recipe tomorrow or Saturday.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 09:01:14 PM »
Just now seeing that you made a version of the sauce.  I hope the flavor mellowed for you and that your BBQ tofu was tasty!
TX - USA

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 02:08:51 PM »
Just now seeing that you made a version of the sauce.  I hope the flavor mellowed for you and that your BBQ tofu was tasty!
Yes, it did!  My husband has declared it the best barbecue sauce he's ever tried.  I enjoy it as well.  I still want to try Mac's recipe, just to compare.  I will do that tonight, actually.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 09:57:28 PM »
We made the recipe from Mac yesterday, and did a taste test today.  Both recipes are good, though we both prefer the one from Rebekah because it has more depth of flavour and is more tangy.  The one from Mac is more mellow and sweet, and very similar to our baked beans recipe, which is also delicious.  They both get thumbs up and both will stay in the cookbook.

Thank you!