FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Zero8 Fail  (Read 2130 times)

Description:

Offline tigerlily

Zero8 Fail
« on: July 09, 2018, 09:02:39 PM »
A note to all US families wanting to experience Zero8 (as in free from the Top 8 Allergens) in Montreal---know that coconut is not considered a treenut.

We made reservations six months ago. Really excited and it was going to be a highlight of our trip to Quebec.

Zero8 waiter did not ask for DS's allergens (ana to fish, PN, pecan, walnut, avoid all treenuts, tested positive to coconut, advised by allergist to avoid). DS2 asked 'but shouldn't we state them?' I foolishly replied that 'well this restaurant doesn't serve the top 8 allergens'. Waiter smiled at comment. Still he didn't follow up to ask about allergens. 

Restaurant was blistering hot as AC wasn't working. Waiter put us in a corner with no air flow--we ended up shuffling tables to get out of corner. There were only two other parties present. We had to ask repeatedly for water. We're from the South and its humidity--this was not a restaurant you would voluntarily sit in unless you had a family/friend with severe allergies.

Go through dinner, spring for dessert for husband and kids which we never, ever can do elsewhere. I scan all three options which seem fine--there's language after the three options referring to "lait" which my son has no problems with milk. I did not check that coco was for coconut, not cocoa as I had too quickly scanned. DS1 is using restroom, DS2 tastes mousse and says it tastes like coconut. I flag down a different waiter and explain how coconut is considered a treenut in the US and my son can't have this. Turns out it was in the appetizer too which he did consume. We had the mousse removed before he got back to the table.

We've traveled multiple states, never had issues with him eating his allergen. Multiple band and Scout trips (Philmont, NOAC). Close calls with the staff running to our table to remove a food they learned had an allergen, although never ingested.

But my son ate his allergen at Zero8. And our original waiter who took the order? Ghosted. He never returned to our table. Never apologized.
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Offline spacecanada

Re: Zero8 Fail
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 09:25:09 PM »
This is everywhere in Canada - we don't consider coconut a tree nut here in any restaurants or food items or labels.  EU is the same, though they include even fewer tree nuts than Canada does.  I wouldn't blame the restaurant for this, as I really don't see it to be their fault if they weren't aware of a coconut allergy. 

I'm sorry our had a close call and glad everyone is okay.

A good reminder for everyone to research allergen regulations when you travel to a different country, and declare all allergens, even in a restaurant you think or know should be safe or have eaten at many times before.  Just like checking a label every time.  Thanks for the reminder - we can all learn from this and remember to never let our guard down.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline tigerlily

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 06:22:54 AM »
I noted the coconut on the online reservation form, which she noted afterwards and our male waiter verified when we entered. I would have mentioned it again if asked. Any other restaurant I would have gone over and over--and made sure it was understood. We've worked through a restaurant coming back four times--what about the same grill? How about....? I view that dialogue as they are really reading the chef's card. We were at a restaurant that made its own ketchup due to cross contamination.

Everywhere else in Quebec was fantastic. Worked with us. Didn't view allergies as a bother. We had a great time elsewhere.

DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Offline Ciel

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 09:28:23 AM »
Ugh, that’s frustrating Tigerlily. I’m glad there were no reactions! And it’s not the way I would want to challenge a food but since he ate it with no symptoms perhaps now you can talk to his allergist about a coconut challenge.

And good job ds2! It sounds like he really looks out for his brother. That made me smile.  :heart: