FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Allergy Friendly Food in Quebec City  (Read 2175 times)

Description:

Offline RiMom911

Allergy Friendly Food in Quebec City
« on: July 19, 2018, 03:32:11 PM »
Hello All,

We are travelling to Quebec City with my 10 year old son who is allergic to most of the top 8 allergens. (Shellfish is OK).
I've read a lot of mixed reviews about dining out and food safety in Quebec City.
We are staying in an apartment with a kitchen, but would love to be able to go out to eat at least a few times with my son.
Can you please recommend any allergy-friendly restaurants? I would also really appreciate any brands or foods that we should look for (or avoid) at grocery stores.
Thanks so much for your help!

Stephanie

Re: Allergy Friendly Food in Quebec City
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 03:12:50 PM »
Hello All,

I just wanted to post an update on our trip to Quebec City in case anyone else is planning a trip there.
We had a great time, and were able to navigate my son's food allergies well.
We stayed in an apartment-style hotel with a fully equipped kitchen, as well as separate bedrooms, which worked really well for our family.
We stayed at Les Lofts St-Joseph.
Les Lofts is a hotel chain and St-Joseph is the street that it is located on. There are other Les Lofts locations around Quebec City.
We really enjoyed the extra space, location, feeling like we were part of the city, and, of course, the safety of our own kitchen. The hotel is located just down the street from a great grocery store, and we were able to find a lot of familiar and new foods to try.
We also found a great allergy friendly restaurant just down the street from our hotel: La Piazetta St Joseph
There was a sign saying Epi_pen on premises (of course, we had our own, but took that as a really good sign). They have a special menu for gluten free, and dairy and egg free options. And they were very willing to work with us. They even brought out their recipe book so we could double check all of the ingredients. Tip: We did go to dinner a little early so that the staff had time to talk to us.
My son, who is allergic to most of the top  8 allergens was able to order spagetti with bolognese sauce, which was new for him.
Hope this helps!

Offline Ciel

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 03:23:12 PM »
That is so nice to hear! I’m glad you had a great experience, a little kindness and understanding goes a long way!!

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 04:47:16 PM »
Sounds wonderful - thank you for sharing.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US