FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Discussion Boards > Traveling & Restaurants

Toronto

(1/3) > >>

DoubleAs:
Headed to Toronto and looking for allergy friendly restaurants for my teen son who is allergic to egg and tree nuts. I’d prefer a nut-free restaurant, if possible. We’re super excited to try Hype Food ( he had an amazing experience at Zero8 in Montreal two years ago), but would love other options as well.

Also, what Canadian brands should I take advantage of?  I know Chapman’s has a line of nut-free ice cream in a safe production facility, but what else should I look for or potentially stock up on to bring home 🙂

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Ciel:
If you eat meat, look up Swiss Chalet. I am only allergic to pistachios and cashews for tree nuts. They do serve a pecan pie but I’m not sure if it’s made in house. I am under the impression it is not, but double check if pecans are an allergen. I linked to their menu, and you can use the search icon to filter out dishes containing TN or egg. You can also find contact info to ask your own questions there. 

Harvey’s (burger place) is another potential.

Maybe Red Lobster, they have an informative allergen chart that is a good starting point. I’d want to ask further questions though. I haven’t been there due to shellfish allergies.

Allergy Mom has a list of allergy aware brands that might be helpful. It’s not exclusively Canadian, but there are some listed.

Freddo/Vadeboncoeur have good chocolates made in a pn & tn free facility. You’d need to check into egg. They have holiday novelties, Mini bites and chocolate chips for baking. I *think* I have seen them at Shoppers, I will check next time I go to the pharmacy.

I know you mentioned Chapman’s, but just wanted to say that these are my favourite.

Other good brands to check out are Allan’s, Dare, Maynards, Kerr’s...

Canadian Favourites is another place to look for ideas.

I’ll be back if I think of more. What sort of things are you planning while here? If you’ll be walking around downtown, you might like walking down Graffiti Alley. Let us know if you need or want suggestions. :)

You might also want to pm candyguru. I think he might have some food suggestions to add, but he is not on regularly so might not see this in time otherwise. SL and catelyn may also have some good ideas.

spacecanada:
Don't forget about the new Hype Food Co!!!! 

--- Quote ---Our kitchen is free from gluten and top allergens including peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, milk, eggs, soy, sesame and seafood.
--- End quote ---
  They DO use coconut, though -- it is NOT a tree nut in Canada.

www.hypefoodco.ca

The Keg is a nation-wide chain with a good reputation for accommodating allergies and special diets.  www.kegsteakhouse.com

Another one: Goodbye Gluten Bakery: https://goodbyegluten.com/about/

Allergy Bites has some good restaurant reviews of Toronto area restaurants, and some discount cards: www.allergy-bites.com

Some fun items you can have shipped to your hotel or find a various grocery stores (some may use coconut, I have no idea since it's not a nut here):
- Libre Naturals - www.librenaturals.ca (they ship to America too, coconut-free)
- Freeyumm granola bars, cookies: www.freeyumm.com
- Three Farmers roasted chickpeas: www.threefarmers.ca
- Made Good granola bars, granola, chocolate chips: www.madegoodfoods.com
- Screamin Brothers frozen dessert (coconut base): www.screaminbrothers.com
- Lotus Foods rice ramen noodles (just the noodles, not the flavour packets): www.lotusfoods.com

DoubleAs:
Thank you Ciel and SpaceCanada for the suggestions. I’ll start exploring. My son is allergic to all tree nuts, but not to coconut. We are definitely planning to eat at Hype!

As for what we’ll be doing — it’s still up in the air other than attending a Jays game. What is Graffiti Alley and where can I find it? Sounds great 👍

Ciel:
Graffiti Alley is literally an alleyway downtown where graffiti is legal so artists are free to put up their art there. There are some really amazing murals and pieces there. I went on this free walking tour last year and enjoyed it: Tour Guys They have some other interesting tours as well.

Other ideas:

-Visit the Toronto Islands (avoid the clothing optional beach at Hanlan’s point unless you’re looking for that sort of experience, lol)
-Kensington Market
-Nathan Phillips Square (iconic Toronto sign, performances)
-St. Lawrence Market
-Harbourfront
-High Park
-More walking tour ideas here: Toronto Free Walking Tours
-Hockey Hall of Fame
-Hop On Hop Off Bus Toronto
-Another restaurant idea (fast food): Smoke’s Poutinerie. Check ingredients and toppings but main ingredients are potatoes, gravy and cheese curds.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version