FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Quaker oatmeal?  (Read 2418 times)

Description:

Online Mezzo

Quaker oatmeal?
« on: September 02, 2018, 10:52:25 AM »
We saw that Quaker now has a peanut butter flavor of instant oatmeal. Anyone have an opinion on cross-contamination risk? We haven’t worried that there were flavors with tree nuts because DD doesn’t have those allergies.

Offline spacecanada

Re: Quaker oatmeal?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 10:06:11 PM »
I had a random reaction (hives only) to plain Quaker instant oatmeal before and they were unhelpful in determining if it could have been cc, and wouldn't disclose if there were shared lines with tree nuts.  We have avoided them ever since.  (That was back in 2010.)

I would call and ask about shared lines, because the chances are likely.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 05:28:29 AM »
Can I just say that even though I really like PB, I think a PB sounds disgustng :disappointed:
USA

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 07:38:02 AM »
^ I agree, though I'm not a fan of flavored oatmeals anyway.

Is she using the individual packages of instant, or the tub variety?
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Online Mezzo

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 07:55:38 AM »
Yes, doesn’t that sound gross?

DD could eat the packets in the college cafeteria and the cups in her dorm, so it’s annoying if there’s a cc risk. I’ll contact them.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 10:26:43 AM »
Good luck getting a straight-up answer about shared lines.  They kept telling me over an dover 'if we think there's a risk we will label for it' or some paraphrase of that.  I hope their customer service and allergy transparency have improved since then.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 06:39:39 AM »
I’d not known about a pb flavor, but have used Quaker Oats exclusively for cookies, waffles, meatballs and meatloaf, and packets of cinnamon swirl flavor for dd for pretty much her lifetime.  I’m sure I called st some point in her life, but not recently enough to be relevant here.  So, probably not very helpful.  The plain oats in the round box were my binder in meatloaf and meatballs when we could not use eggs.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy