login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Food challenges  (Read 3837 times)

Description:

Offline joshsmom

Food challenges
« on: September 21, 2018, 12:58:43 PM »
My ds has outgrown several tree nut based on his blood test. The dr wants to start food challenges for almonds on Monday. Does he need SPT before a food challenge? He has not had any nut SPT since he was younger. I am very nervous about the whole process. Of course, my ds is super excited. Any experience?

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
Re: Food challenges
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 01:06:18 PM »
We did a food challenge for sesame and there was no SPT prior to it, but they did put a little tahini on his skin before the first oral dose.

Offline joshsmom

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 01:20:44 PM »
They won’t do his sesame☹️ His SPT has always been negative but his IGE is 1.9

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 02:51:06 PM »
I've always heard that SPT can stay positive for several years after an allergy is outgrown, so maybe that's why no SPT prior to challenge?
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 04:28:32 PM »
I've always heard that SPT can stay positive for several years after an allergy is outgrown, so maybe that's why no SPT prior to challenge?
I heave heard or read something about this as well.  Some allergists will do a SPT, some will not. The SPT isn't a definitive test anyway, and other factors are considered to offer a challenge, like lowering blood counts. 

I had a food challenge earlier this year.   The allergist started with a really small dose of my allergen, barely a speck, watched and waited, and then increased the dose every 20-30 minutes or so over the course of three hours until I ate a pinky finger-size piece of potato in one dose (it was a test for potato, in case that isn't obvious.)  My challenge wasn't a full pass, as I had multiple minor symptoms, but it was worthwhile.  I was scared, but I brought a teddy bear (yes, I'm an adult - and yes, I still need my teddy), plenty of books, my husband, and many other distractions to keep my mind occupied. 

Between doses you are carefully monitored and every little symptom is recorded and attended to.  This way, they can spot a reaction in it's earliest stages, treat it quickly, and monitor to see if it progresses.  Most 'fails' only end in minor reactions, though some people do experience anaphylaxis.  Ask your allergist for what symptoms to watch for and what treatment they will provide for each -- it may help you understand what to expect if things go poorly, and when to alert the nurse or allergist if they don't notice first.  (We had at least one member here have an allergist that wasn't so attentive and missed a severe reaction happening.)  Hopefully that's not the case, everything goes well, and your child passes -- the best outcome! 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 05:22:41 PM by spacecanada »
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 05:16:07 PM »
Before each of my DD's food challenges, they did a blood test, not a skin prick test.

Offline joshsmom

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 12:56:21 PM »
 :happydance: he passed his almond challenge!  They did SPT before challenge started! :happydance:

Offline MaryM

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 02:09:56 PM »
Congrats!!  Wonderful news!

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 02:23:02 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS!!
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 04:06:20 PM »
 :happydance: HURRAY!! :happydance:  That's so exciting for you. 

As someone that has passed a challenge and then had a reaction to the same food at home a few days later... still keep your guard up the first few times you try almond at home.  Leave yourself plenty of time to monitor and keep activity level low afterwards. 

Now you know what to expect for next time.  Did the allergist schedule challenges for the other tree nuts as well? 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 04:39:24 PM »
Success!  So happy for you and your DS!  :thumbsup:

Offline joshsmom

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 04:56:24 PM »
Yes We will challenge pecans next month. He is still allergic to peanuts, pistachios, cashews, hazelnuts, sesame and sunflower. I plan on watching him really close when he eats almonds. He loved the taste of them too. He ate 12 whole salted almonds.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 05:05:18 PM »
Congratulations!!!!

After my DD passed Almond, she really embraced Barney Butter in it's many varieties.  She loves dipping apple slices in it.

Offline joshsmom

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 10:35:17 PM »
I called for the Barney Butter but my grocery store was sold out. I will Drive to the next town over and try and get that for him. I am ordering roasted almonds and almond butter from CA tomorrow. Is there any safe at the grocery store that is peanut and other treenut free?

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 05:59:02 AM »
Congratulations!  This thread might have some ideas, don't know if you can get any of it locally though.

Sources for Peanut FREE treenuts