login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: "spacey" reactions -  (Read 2472 times)

Description:

Offline AdminCM

• Administrator
"spacey" reactions -
« on: September 13, 2011, 07:53:12 PM »
"spacey" reactions -

Yve
Posted: 12/23/10 at 11:30 am

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: "spacey" reactions -
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 06:48:53 PM »
bump--

this is a good thread that describes those very peculiar, kind of nondescript symptoms of "altered consciousness"  or "sleepiness."

Very much:

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 08:28:05 AM »
Pasting this here:

About that wanting to lay down thing--that's one of my symptoms frequently. 

Unrelated, yet stay with me: the day I learned I was pregnant (about 5-6 weeks in), I was at work and felt soooooo tired.  I had never felt tired like this in my life, and I had plenty of all-nighters in college.  I went to my boss' office, and I told her, "I am inexplicably tired.  It's like I have to lie down right now.  I hate to leave early, but I absolutely must sleep."  (It was my last few hours before leaving for vacay--not a good time to up and leave, but this was WOW sleepy.)

Did you get sleepy like that?  It was an irrational, MUST.SLEEP.NOW.AT.ALL.COSTS. sleepy. 

That's how I feel when I am like this while having a reaction.  It's such an irrational kind of sleepy.  I'll be in the middle of a meeting at work and having eaten something they provided (stupid, I know), I've had thoughts like:

"This meeting will go on for another hour. I bet they won't notice if I just lie on the floor behind my chair and sleep."
"It will be okay if I just go lie down on the bench in the foyer and sleep."

It's crazy.  But it's an absolute need to sleep at all costs. 

I don't know if your kiddo was feeling that way, but that's how I feel.  Wow--it leads to horrible judgment on my part, too.

I will tell you that when this has been my only symptom I have not epid.  I've given myself benadryl, yes (oh, wow, and like that helps, lol.  Seriously, it has helped relieve the symptom--ironically.) 

We have followed the Anaphylaxis Grading Chart during tiimes like this--when the symptoms aren't classic. 

This happened the first time we epid--after an allergy shot, btw. 

The second time we epid--DS was at school.  He had asthma that developed and was persistent/worsened in spite of albuterol (DS' asthma isn't bad, and it's rare he has a flare up).  And he had the spaciness and tiredness.  In talking with him and the school nurse we couldn't identify what he had eaten--that he had eaten anything.  But we followed the chart and had the nurse epi him. He had a biphasic reaction 8 hours later that involved stomach cramping and other symptoms.

So twice we've simply followed the Anaphylaxis Grading Chart and it was the right thing to do.

Here's the chart in plain English, btw:
http://the-clarkes.org/stuff/ana.html

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Linden

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »
That was a really helpful thread.  Thank you so much for reposting it, CM! 

I feel like I learn a lot from reading descriptions of reactions.
DS TNA/EA, avocado, environmentals, asthma