login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Reactions as part of storylines: Fiction books, movies, TV etc  (Read 17855 times)

Description:

Offline mksmom

Re: Reactions as part of storylines: Fiction books, movies, TV etc
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 08:28:28 AM »
The Little Women Letters, by Gabrielle Donnelly.  3 adult sisters; the 2 eldest tend to tease/make fun of the youngest throughout the book.  The youngest has an ana reaction most likely to shellfish. One character does not understand the seriousness as his allergy is just a few hives, "it's not serious, it's just an allergic reaction."  One sister with a degree in biochem understands and explains the near death experience.  The downsides of the story line:  no mention of needing epis, just "avoid" shellfish and the biggie is that the two older sisters tease the younger saying, in jest, that now they now how to kill her when the sa sister annoys them.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 09:10:16 AM »
Anyone watch House last night?  (Transplant).

A guy dies, and they are trying to figure out why, before transplanting his lungs.  As is usual on House, they come up with many different ideas.  Eventually they start thinking it might have been caused by the platelets he received, and go searching for the blood donors.  One had eaten peanuts shortly before donating.  One doctor says peanuts wouldn't have caused it.....and House replies "unless the person receiving it is allergic to peanuts".

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 01:51:55 PM »
I was watching a rerun for House and saw this and didn't know what to think.

"Damned If You Do"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damned_If_You_Do

figwort tea, which House claims, when mixed with even the smallest level of epinephrine, causes instant cardiac arrest

fact?  fiction?  CM?   :)

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 01:56:40 PM »
I also watched Harry's Law episode "A Disturbing Disability".
http://www.nbc.com/harrys-law/video/a-disturbing-disability/1391197

It wasn't about FA, but what I kept thinking about was FA.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 09:33:24 PM »
Watching The Simpson's. Lisa is volunteering at a vet's, then later a goat is having an anaphylactic reaction from eating shrimp. She asks one of the other kids (Milhouse?) for his epi-pen and uses it on the goat.

Unlike many shows....she used it properly. It was shaped like the newest epi-pen, she pulled off the cap and injected the other end into what could be a cartoon goat's thigh.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 12:39:42 PM »
Go Lisa!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 12:26:38 PM »
We've seen two recently:

Kindergarten Cop 2 - One of the kids in the class has a peanut allergy and the teacher starts eating a peanut butter sandwich.  No reaction, but the class all screams at the teacher and the school nurse comes in to remove the child with allergies for monitoring. 

The Game Plan - The main football plater has an allergy to cinnamon and his new-found daughter gives him cookies with cinnamon (not knowing of the allergy) and the main character starts talking funny as a result.  It may have been meant as funny but not of the ha-ha sort.  The daughter also turns out to have a nut allergy, mentioned early on, and ends up having reaction in a restaurant near the end of the movie.  Someone notices and they rush her off to hospital - by running there.  Not exactly ideal, but a more accurate representation of allergies than in most movies I've seen.  (No EpiPens mentioned.)
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 02:16:26 PM »
On Big Bang Theory they sometimes mention Howard being allergic to peanuts. Previously he intentionally ate something with peanut in it to cause an allergic reaction. I think it was to keep Sheldon(?) with him at the hospital. Would have been unbelievably out of character, but Penny bribed him to keep Sheldon out, and she would set him up with her "easy" friend.

This week (might have been a repeat...we've missed a lot) he ended up in the ER. There's a lot of commotion going on, and from the other room Howard asks if what he's eating has peanuts.

His reaction is similar to his previous one, but insinuates it got more serious. I thought it was actually handled well.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 11:20:22 PM »
The new Peter Rabbit movie is becoming a very hot topic in allergy groups, and not because it is good. Apparently the film includes a scene of one character deliberately trying to expose another character to their allergen, a reaction, and the character requiring epinephrine. I haven't seen the film or read a whole lot about the scene in detail, but this is one of many links circulating about it:

http://twincitiesgeek.com/2018/02/peter-rabbit-is-a-rotten-adaptation-of-a-revered-book/

Some people are more accepting or outraged about it than others, kids included. Just a heads up to do some research of your own before bringing kids to see this film.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 07:24:14 AM »
I saw commercials for it and it looks awful.  I doubt Beatrix Potter would have approved.  :disappointed:

Edited to add:  I was able to read the link.  OMG it sounds even worse than it looked in commercials. 

First off, I will say that I am one of the minority who can actually laugh at FA's, as this is our family's coping mechanism to cope with everything.  We laugh, especially at ourselves.  That said, using humor to deal with FA's that is aimed at children is a totally different story.  No.  Just...  No.   

My kids would be aghast.  They loved all the Beatrix Potter books.  There was a lovely series of videos that adapted the books faithfully, and they were gentle and sweet, like the books.  My kids adored them.  I can't imagine why anyone would take their kids to this movie.  Ugh.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 07:32:35 AM by GoingNuts »
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 02:46:30 PM »
Trying to distract myself today and I picked a movie that, of course, has food allergies in it. The movie is called Selfless, with Ryan Reynolds. The main character dies and his consciousness is placed in another body. His original self was allergic to peanuts and his new self buys and eats large quantities of peanut butter. The allergy is respected well enough, though the character jokes that he is already dying of cancer, he might as well order a PB&J when in a restaurant. They mention EpiPens and anaphylaxis when he is dying, as his death is staged to look like anaphylaxis. I found it kind of interesting, actually, how they integrated the allergy into the film without pointing too many fingers at it or blatantly making fun of it.  It was also nice that they featured a wealthy and prominent character with a food allergy, showing that it affects even the elite, not just the nerdy weak kid on the playground.

Anyway, my movie choice and timing were bad today, but thought I would share another instance of food allergies in a movie.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 12:40:31 PM »
http://nationalpost.com/entertainment/movies/parents-and-children-flee-cinema-after-horror-movie-trailer-plays-before-peter-rabbit

The movie received a perfect score on Rotten Tomatoes after it premiered at this year’s Sundance Film Festival. Critics called it “pure emotional terrorism,” “a ballet of menace,” “this generation’s The Exorcist,” “an absolute nightmare” and “two breathless hours of escalating terror.” (Those, for the record, were positive reviews.)

We can clearly ascertain, in other words, that this is a very scary movie. One might say, not at all for children.

Nevertheless, the trailer was shown ahead of a screening of uber family-friendly Peter Rabbit recently in Perth, Australia, to a theatre packed with parents and “at least 40 children.”

I am not happy that 40 kids were scared at an “uber family-friendly” movie. But is it worse than all the kids with food allergies that were scared BY the “uber family-friendly” movie?

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 11:41:33 PM »
My neighbour just warned me of a horrifying allergy scene in a movie she watched at the cinema tonight.  She told me to never, ever see the movie - so I won't really know what happened (nor do I want to; scary movies aren't my thing to begin with.) The movie is called 'Hereditary'.  Just a heads up in case someone on here likes scary movies.

A quick Google search gives me this SnackSafely link about it (includes spoilers): https://snacksafely.com/2018/06/advisory-disturbing-food-allergy-scene-in-heredity/

Edited to remove a spoiler (sorry, Mac)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 07:37:40 PM by spacecanada »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 08:48:36 AM »
Space, that movie is getting s lot of attention and what you mentioned has been talked around in reviews I’ve heard or seen.  In case someone is planning to see it, it might be good to mention the name of the film early in your post and note that it contains a spoiler—in case someone is planning to see it but wants to be surprised.

I’m not planning to see it, but this film is getting attention because one of the scariest things it deals with is dysfunctional family dynamics. The producer pitched it that way to studio executives.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts