FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Quinoa Recipes  (Read 39565 times)

Description: ****

Offline nameless

Re: Quinoa Recipes
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2015, 04:33:04 PM »
Wanted to log this one --- vegetarian!

http://pinchofyum.com/southwestern-quinoa-and-black-bean-casserole

This. Is. Phenom. Menal. 

I added in toasted sweet corn and mixed some hot tomatillo/green chile salsa into the quinoa. Ate it by scooping up in those multigrain Tostidos scoops. SO FILLING!  I only used 1 can of black beans though as I didn't have enough, but they weren't missed. 

This is really like a quinoa dip...

I'm also logging this to stuff red peppers with in the summer.

Freezes well --- I make a big 9x13 pan and then after it's cooled in the fridge will make single servings scooped into freezer bags or containers to bring to work (thaws quickly, nuke it, stir, bring extra cheese and sour cream!)
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2015, 08:44:56 AM »
Looks amazing. May make tonight if my poblano is in good shape (I use them instead of bells. Also it fits.).  I have a can of lime inagined refried black beans. That might shave off some time, but the texture will be different than if I mash a can of black beans.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline nameless

« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2015, 01:27:23 PM »
Looks amazing. May make tonight if my poblano is in good shape (I use them instead of bells. Also it fits.).  I have a can of lime inagined refried black beans. That might shave off some time, but the texture will be different than if I mash a can of black beans.

Yeah - for me the black beans are about the flavor...what I did last night --- sauteed the onion and jalepeno for about 15 minutes (got it a bit toasty at the end), then added in a tsp of roasted garlic (from a jar), added a can of black beans, some salt, and then some vegetable broth (but not a lot). It was liquidy, but not 'swimming'...more like 'wading'. Covered that and let it simmer for about an hour. Then I brought it up to a boil with the lid off to get some liquid out...then smashed a bit (some whole beans still left). I ended up mixing that with the quinoa and salsa. Kind of a dip I guess?

FLAVOR IS SO GOOD!
40+ years dealing with:
New England

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2015, 06:01:06 PM »
Yum!  I would put a blob onto a bed of salad greens with some guac and/or sour cream! 

I have a salad in the fridge right now, made it yesterday:  Similar ingredients, but cold.  black beans, sweet corn, diced tomatoes, and quinoa.  Has lime, EVOO, garlic, salt, and green onions for flavor.  I forgot to buy cilantro.  I added a bit of roasted cumin, and red pepper.  Am also out of chili powder.  It was still good.  I did not use a recipe.  But about 1/2 bag of corn, 1 can of beans, 3 green onions, 1 container of grape tomatoes, diced, about a cup or so of cooked quinoa(I had been eating it for a few days in various things, and that was what I had left).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 06:02:42 PM by becca »
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2015, 07:28:23 AM »
Putting this here, so I can find it.  I plan to try it someday.  Need to get my WowButter first. 

http://www.laaloosh.com/2013/05/16/crunchy-thai-quinoa-recipe/

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2015, 09:26:49 AM »
Okay this was really good nameless. DS and DH loved it. However I made these changes:

•used poblano (and I only had two)
•did use my canned refried  lime black beans because i had run out of canned black beans, which never happens
•used canned jalapeños becaue I didn't have any fresh ones ir serranos (again--never the case)
•used NoChicken stock (also in quinoa).

I think the step of putting the cooked quinoa in the dry pan was unnecessary. 

I wish I had waited a week to make this, because it's simiLar in many ways to my Mexican lasagne, which I made last week and have been meaning to post pictures of. In fact, when he walked in the house last night, DS said, "Is this Mexican lasagne?" It's a lot like it but with quinoa instead of corn tortillas, without salsa inside and with fewer veggies.

I'll add that when DH put some Pace lime garlic salsa verde and sour cream on top it was also so YUM.   

We do a lot of variations on these ingredients. Like a lot. These ingredients in tostadas. In enchiladas.  In quesadillas. In tacos. With chips. The quinoa was a nice addition. And as DH notes, it's very filling!  It's really good.

We will make it again, and I may take it to a church potluck. This is much easier to serve than Mexican lasagne.

Offline nameless

« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2015, 07:36:55 PM »
totally filling, much more so than you'd think! I too added salsa and sour cream dabbled on top after I put some of the quinoa on a chip.

...I never toasted the quinoa...mine always comes out a bit liquidy so this wasn't dry at all to me. I just added the spices to the quinoa (and also some nice green chile tomatillo salsa).

This is a keeper for me...FABULOUS lunch.
40+ years dealing with:
New England

ninjaroll

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2015, 08:15:18 PM »
Has anyone tried sort of a sushi or onigiri type of deal with quinoa?  I'm thinking swap out 50% of the rice so some stickiness remains. A homemade kim chi and spam quinoa musubi sounds good for the road trips.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2015, 05:28:56 PM »

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2015, 05:40:14 PM »
YUM!  That looks like my kind of salad!  You can "massage" kale raw, with some lemon and/or olive oil.  It will soften and break down a bit. A sprinkle of salt helps too.  Saves a dirty pan.  Just do it first in the big bow you use for the salad. 

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2015, 07:06:45 PM »
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2015, 01:20:45 PM »
Looks yummy, and pretty much the hot version of a salad I make. 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2015, 05:16:16 PM »
Winner!
http://damndelicious.net/2014/04/09/one-pan-mexican-quinoa/

Okay--making this right now and I can't believe I didn't see this when reading the recipe, but this is basically a dish I make at least every 2-3 weeks. When he was little, I told him it was my specialty, to that's the name of this dish:  Specialty. I've never made it with quinoa though.

We have it over rice, in a tortilla (sometimes with rice) with cheese and other burrito fixings, on a toastada--even by itself sometimes.  I use black beans or refried beans or refried black beans.  I also use Rotel.

I do an Italian version sometimes with black beans or cannellini, Hunts diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning, and feta.

Anyway, this is smelling great. But DS thinks he's getting a new dish, lol. And he isn't. I think I will use both avocados I bought to help differentiate it. :).

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2015, 08:18:54 AM »
Made this for a BBQ this weekend.  Way too salty so cut the sea salt down to 1 tsp and then you can add salt if needed.  I ended up adding more lime juice, cilantro, a whole cucumber and another cup of cooked quinoa to make up for the saltiness.

http://www.beachbody.com/beachbodyblog/wp-content/uploads/sites/9/2015/05/FIXATE-RECIPES.pdf

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2015, 06:50:28 PM »
That looks good, Hezz.  I do a similar salad, with and without quinoa.  But it also has diced fresh tomatoes.