Food Allergy Support is now on Twitter. Follow us @FASupport. You may also follow our Tweets in our new global footer at the bottom of the page here at FAS!

Author Topic: "A child in your student's class has an allergy" letter...  (Read 1086 times)

Description: *

Offline AdminCM

• Administrator
 Posted: 08.25.2009 at 08:49:32     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unbelievably, this is the first year we've ever gotten a letter home from school about another child's food allergy. Up until now, it's always been my kid generating the letter (and we never asked for it - my child is not contact-sensitive and I would have never let him eat anything coming in to the classroom anyway).

The boy in question has peanut, tree nut, sesame and shellfish. I asked my daughter and she said "oh, yeah, that's so-and-so."

What's the etiquette here? The letter just says to refrain from bringing in snacks with those allergens. Do I call the mom before bringing food, even though I'm technically not supposed to know which kid it is? Do I just automatically default to something with a label, even though the kid's mom may not be a stickler? 

Posted: 08.25.2009 at 08:54:50       

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

they would never do one specific to our class or grade. a general letter always went out asking people to avoid sending nuts etc. to school for bday, snacks etc.

Posted: 08.25.2009 at 09:27:19       

I would simply do as the letter requests and not bring foods with those allergies in. I'm pretty sure that the student in question will not be eating any snacks that you send in regardless as he probably has the same rule of his parents checking the ingredients etc.

If you get an opportunity to meet his parents, (depending on how much you want to get to know them) you might mention that your daughter told you about the allergy. It's nice to have a classmate who really 'gets it' and it's nice to not be the only one who can't participate in all activities.

Ask yourself if you want these parent's bringing in snacks for your child. Let that determine how you procede. 

Posted: 08.25.2009 at 10:15:08       

If it were me, I'd talk with the mom ahead of time. It might be nice for her to know that there's someone else who gets it. You might also get an idea of what kind of treats are safe for her child, check it against your own list of safe stuff, and bring in things that will be safe for everyone.

That's what I'm doing with a mom of a kid in DS's class who is alleric to dairy. I don't deal with that allergy, but I talked with her about specific brands that she uses of specific things. Then I used that info to supply the teacher with a food item that is "safe" for eveyone for an activity the teacher wants to do later this week. Originally, the teacher was going to have all the kids (including the peanut/tree nut allergic kids) use one thing and this one dairy allergic girl use something else. But it was very easy -- at least for someone who gets it -- to find something that was safe for everyone. The teacher is happy because she didn't have to do the legwork and the other mom is happy because it's not going to be one more activity where her child is excluded.

The other mom is way too busy with a younger sibling to do too legwork, but I have the time and motivation to do it. So we are able to team up in a way that benefits both our kids.

Just my two cents. 

Posted: 08.25.2009 at 12:19:01       

I would avoid the allergens as requested in the letter. I wouldn't make it a point to contact the mom, but if the chance to chat arises...I would. 

Posted: 08.25.2009 at 04:13:30       

What Pink said. Because, YEAH, you want to evangelize for this place, right?

There are so many times I wish I've had business cards printed up to hand out for FAS. I think I will do that--it's just a matter of, um, branding. 

Posted: 08.25.2009 at 04:18:39       

I'd just refrain from bringing in snacks with those allergies.

Apparently whether or not the item needs to be labeled has not been addressed...so I'd say it is up to you.

I would not call the parent. If it's a snack for your child's b'day, the parent might be calling you to see what your child is bringing in.

Posted: 08.25.2009 at 07:26:10       

You could ask the teacher if the mom would mind getting a phone call from you. For me, I'd love to have a parent take the initiative to call me and ask what brand of something is okay. As a fellow parent of a food allergic child I would think you would want to do whatever you would appreciate for your child. Because you really understand what it's like it'd be nice to be able to shoulder together to include everyone if possible. It might be that the mom just says 'no thank you' to your efforts, but at least you would've tried. I always appreciate that sort of effort even if it still doesn't work for my son. If the teacher says that the parent would rather remain unknown, then I'd just do what the letter asks. 

Posted: 08.26.2009 at 09:15:32       

Yeah, I wouldn't contact the mom either. Everyone knows that it is my dd that is 'the one'. The kids know and so then they tell the parents. It just happens.
I would just do as the letter requests and not send in those things with the allergens. If you do have a question about a particular item, I would first go to the teacher and see what she/he says. The teacher may say go ahead and talk to the parent.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 07:30:59 PM by AdminCM »