login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: New York City Restaurants (suggestions please)  (Read 6289 times)

Description:

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator

Offline MomInMD

Re: New York City Restaurants (suggestions please)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 09:37:38 AM »
We are going to NYC over the week of Thanksgiving.  Wanted to see if there are other suggestions for places to eat in Lower Manhattan.  We are staying in the Battery Park area.  Have already called Landmarc about possibly eating there (Tribeca location) for Thanksgiving.   They don't take reservations for parties under 6, but the person on the phone acted like we'd have no problem getting in at that location.   Thanks for the tips on that place from previous posts. 
Thanks for any other suggestions! 
DS (11) Peanut, Tree Nut
DD (7)  No allergies

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 11:25:28 PM »
Well, it would not be near Battery Park, but Pisticci at 42nd and Lasalle (above 122nd and Columbia University) was quite aware and did an amazing job.  http://www.pisticcinyc.com/  They are 100% carbon neutral.  :)

So did Vinl in the Hell's Kitchen area.  Wow. And they understand vegetarian, too. http://www.vynl-nyc.com/welcome.html  So, so, SO fun!!!!  Check out the picture!

John's Pizza on 44th St--near Times Square and a few doors down from the Al Hirshfeld Theatre (where we saw "How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying") did a great job for our allergies.  http://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/index2.htm

Before seeing "Billy Elliot" we went to a Chipotle, because we knew it'd be safe and no risk. This was a dream, seeing this musical, so we didn't want to take a chance.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 01:37:25 PM »
It's funny hearing you talk about billy Elliot and chipotle- we were just there 2 weeks ago! We made note of Chipolte for when we finally get the boys to the city! And we ate at John's after the show- YUM!
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline maeve

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 09:38:39 PM »
Is that the Chipotle on 8th Ave.?  We stayed right across the street from there and ate there too.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 06:20:32 AM »
Yes. And Vinyl is close by. DS' theatre program was over there. We stayed near Columbia and just took the train every day.

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 10:24:38 AM »
I used her guide when we went:

http://allergicgirlrecommends.blogspot.com/
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline MomInMD

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 01:43:52 PM »
Had to share some of our suggestions for traveling in NYC...we had a safe trip!!!  (And ate lots of good food!!!)
I did read the http://allergicgirlrecommends.blogspot.com/ and got the great recommendation of going to Blue Smoke - a BBQ place.  They have a special nut free menu-including dessert!!!  DS was so happy to get dessert-such a treat!  Blue Smoke is at 116E 27th street (btw Park & Lex)  Great food!!!

From the link to the hyperboards I got the suggestion of Landmarc.  We ate our Thanksgiving meal there-at the one in Tribeca.  No problems getting in. Also wonderful food and allergy aware.

We ate at the Ellis Island cafe after speaking with someone to make sure it was safe.  Needed something to eat after visiting the Statue of Liberty and touring Ellis Island.

After my own research on line I found "The Donut Pub."  A nut free place for donuts...similar to Dunkin Donuts, but no nuts!  DS was in heaven!  Very special treat!  This place is at 203 W 14th St (At 7th ave).

Also on line, I found "Eleni's." A nut free bakery with the most scrumptious cupcakes we have ever tasted!!!  It has lots of other nut free goodies (like chocolate covered pretzels) too!  They also specialize in decorated sugar cookies.  The girl who worked there also had a nut allergy and was so nice to our DS.  This was a wonderful place! The one we went to was in Chelsea Market, but I think they have one on Madison Ave too.

Needless to say my DS now wants to move to NYC!!!  LOL!!!  So many great SAFE places to choose from.  Not like the same old same old where we live... 
DS (11) Peanut, Tree Nut
DD (7)  No allergies

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 02:52:30 PM »
Wow, this is great news!  We live just outside NYC, but get in only rarely.  So nice to know that there are good choices out there.

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline maeve

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 04:03:27 PM »
Thanks for the update and I'm glad that you had a great trip.  I'm also glad that you liked landmarc.  I'm not sure if you watch the Food Network and the show Chopped.  One of the judges, Mark Murphy, owns landmarc.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 09:04:53 AM »
Just got back from a spur of the moment trip to NYC.  Capital Grill as excellent with DS's allergy.  The chef came to the table, was very thorough.  The bread was brought out before the chef came to the table, so I asked whether DS could have it.  He said there was only one safe bread there, so he would go in the back to get him some that had not touched the other bread.  DS was able to eat his favorite meal--chicken tenders and fries.  Nothing nutty on the menu (I did not look at a dessert menu). 
USA

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 07:10:03 PM »
Bump
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 10:45:02 AM »
Great to know about Eleni's!

I wonder if there are any nut free bakeries near TS.