FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: United or Delta?  (Read 4302 times)

Description: ***

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
United or Delta?
« on: September 14, 2011, 02:08:10 PM »
http://allergy.hyperboards.com/action/view_topic/topic_id/20002

We need to travel in a few months and I'm finding the best prices (for now) on Delta and United. Not familiar with either one other than what a few people have told me. We have always traveled on American or AirTran.

I have been told that Delta serves a fruit plate and no nuts.

I don't know about United.

Anyone know?

Delta still serves bags of peanuts --- where did you hear no nuts?

United is still "no blatant peanuts" but there are purchase on-board trailmixes with nuts and whatnot.

Delta has the infamous "3 seat buffer zone" which completely useless with recirculated air, and further, isn't always enforced by the flight crew.

From Delta's website under coach-dining:

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/inflight_services/economy_class/dining.jsp

I would call United far more "peanut allergy acceptable" than Delta.

It boils down to the no-bags-of-peanuts for each and every passenger so far as the food service. Delta still continues this service -- and will only offer the 3-row buffer zone. United quit service of bags-o-peanuts in abt 1998. That's 13 years without vs Delta still doing it.

That's my best answer.

If Delta has discontinued peanut service, I've not seen any formal annoucement from them to that effect. (Doesn't mean they haven't done this OR made announcment, just that I'd never seen it and was unaware if these events had actually occurred.)

When United discontinued peanut service in the late-90s, they made formal announcment via press release. (Once upon a time that press release was linked from UAL's website. I've not been able to find it in past couple of years, however. Likely gone as it's "old news" so far as airline is concerned.)

ETA -- A quick Google and brief reading and I don't see any formal announcement by Delta as to removal of pnuts from offering, nor any news article with this verifiable info either.

I flew Delta in June. They serve peanuts. They will do the buffer zone or alternate snacks, depending on the crew. If there's enough turbulence, the flight crew will have to remain harnessed and there will be no snack service. So you could pray for bad weather.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:56:30 AM by hezzier »

Offline livingnutfree

• AKA newbienutfreemomma
Re: United or Delta?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 03:30:44 PM »
We flew Delta in August and they do serve peanuts. On our departing flight the crew announced to the area 4 rows in front and 4 behind not to eat any nuts and didnt serve any. On our return flight they didn't serve any except to the very last few rows of the plane becuase they didnt have enough of the other snacks.  We were able to preboard so i could clean the area. when i checkd in the guy at the gate so with that i'm going to move your seat so he did. not sure where we were to begin with but moved us to the very last row of seats.
Mom to 3 kiddos
ds1 nkfa
ds2 nkfa
dd   7 yr diagnosed with pn/tn allergy at age 6.

Offline Scout

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 08:44:32 PM »
funny, not five minutes ago I pulled  out my Allergic living mag. with the airplane issue cuz the trip to Hawaii , delta was pricing better....

it says they serve pb cookies and pnuts, and pnut m&m's  ....United looks much friendlier....to pnut allergy...

but the issue is winter 2009 so could be different......

Offline BeyondCastles

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 08:09:30 AM »
We flew Delta last summer and they served peanuts.  Didn't matter that we informed them when we made the reservation, called a few days before the flight to remind them and reminded them at the gate when we arrived.  I was allowed to board early so that I could wipe down our seats and put a sheet over my son's seat.  And they said they would not serve them 2 rows ahead or behind but they forgot.  Thankfully, we had no problems but Delta is not peanut-allergic friendly.
My son has a life-threatening peanut/tree nut allergy.

I love to plan vacations for others with dietary restrictions!  We all deserve to travel!

Offline Ra3chel

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 11:49:20 AM »
funny, not five minutes ago I pulled  out my Allergic living mag. with the airplane issue cuz the trip to Hawaii , delta was pricing better....

it says they serve pb cookies and pnuts, and pnut m&m's  ....United looks much friendlier....to pnut allergy...

but the issue is winter 2009 so could be different......

United outright lied in the Allergic Living survey; I corresponded pretty extensively with them about it. They don't serve peanuts, but they don't have clear policies--or, at least, not ones about which their staff is educated--re: things like preboarding, cabin announcements, or tree nuts.
The 3 is silent.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 07:27:25 PM »
I'd fly United over Delta (will NOT fly Delta).  But they do sell a tree not snack with sesame. I saw it on flights last week.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline buttons

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 08:02:42 PM »
I recently flew KLM/Delta (my PA DS was not with me). I normally won't fly Delta, but had no good options on this leg. Was shocked when they handed out bags of peanuts.  :tongue:  They just don't care.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 08:46:13 PM »
Based in Georgia. Peanuts.

I was miffed when they merged with Northwest (which was tied to KLM I believe). Of course that was based in The Twin Cities (where I am now).  So Delta is used here. Except by us!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts